Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

OptionalCookie t1_j6ftsk4 wrote

For the R46 which is the main A train model and the R68 and R68A which are found on the B and D...

The cars are 75 ft, so when it goes around a curve, you can be thrown off the train and we don't do curves gently.

So the doors are locked.

I remember the last few months of 2021 and 2020 were just people getting run over by trains after they fell in between cars.

visit_magrathea OP t1_j6fvk2n wrote

Yeah I remember those stories. A big reason I’ll never hop cars on a train unless someone is trying to stab me or something.

OptionalCookie t1_j6fxrr3 wrote

When I was a conductor, and the A/C was still running R32 and the J was still running R42 (I'm not that old 🥺... I got that job when I was like 25 😭) you used to have to walk between cars to get to the control panel on the other side.

Mind you, I had to do this rain or snow. And the trains had holes in the operating positions to the point where you could see outside. Going from Howard Beach to Broad Channel those old rickety tin cans was not fun.

There are hand holds between cars to hold on to to make sure you don't slip or fall. Keep three points on contact, and you'll be fine. Secure all your items to you.

But if you feel dizzy, don't do it.

ThatOneGuy308 t1_j6j75fb wrote

To be honest, you probably have a better chance of surviving the stab wound than being ran over by the train, lol