Submitted by queeruption t3_10fiuqy in tifu

TIFU by getting my reddit account compromised.

This happened yesterday, hence the new account!

i've been looking for work and one of the areas i've been looking in is gig economy. i being a long time redditor knew that a lot of sub existed where gig workers would offer advice and assistance ok getting myself up and running.

so i post in one of the subs about how i'm having a really hard time getting going and a redditor responds telling me about a little known app that is offering amazing rates. i being desperate immediately sign up. nothing. it's empty. ugh.

so inpost again saying i signed up but that it's not busy. in fact, nothing is happening on the app. ugh. moving on.

ten minutes later i get a text on my phone.

"hey redditor, this is the guy who responded to your post on reddit, how are you?"

"huh"

"yeah man, i run that app and i saw that you signed up"

omg wtf. 10 years on reddit activity, intimate details on my life.. shit even some naughty photos! omg. he not only knows my name, he can know so so much about me.

immediately i delete my account. 10 years of relationships. 10 years of activity. 10 years of that precious precious karma GONE.

heads up: i never thought i'd get caught like that. never. i couldn't believe it. it felt like a gross infringement on my person, my life and my online activity.

TLDR: a redditor owned a company i signed up for after his recommendation on a sub. he texted me on my personal phone. had to delete a 10 year old account immediately.

Comments