Submitted by BiGray18 t3_10iby1b in tifu

as the title says- my boyfriend is Venezuelan. his parents were born and raised there and immigrated over to the US with his older brother. Im white. I recently was invited over to his house as his parents have an issue with my father smoking weed, despite them smoking cigarettes. No problem. the first visit goes okay. His dad tells me to make myself at home and his mom who wasn't feeling well came downstairs for a bit to talk to me.

I was happy with myself until he told me after meeting me his mom said he could do better and that she doesnt understand why he likes me since im short, white, skinny, and have no boobs or ass. She's also convinced that my father who is my only real family is a drug addict. Today, I was invited over again. It went horribly. His mom said I stunk like weed (i literally covered myself in perfume before leaving) and glared at me and insulted me to my bf as if just because I dont speak spanish means I cant put 2 and 2 together. Everytime my bf left the room we were in she tried to argue with him about me. She told him I didnt have proper manners because I didnt know the guests were supposed to greet the hosts first as every other house (including other hispanic families!) ive ever been to and my own is the host is supposed to greet the guest and the first time I came over they both greeted me first! I dont know what to do. I love this boy and I'm trying to do everything to comply with what they want. I dont feel comfortable in their house and i ended up crying as he promised me it would be okay. Im at my wits end

TLDR; Hispanic bfs mom hates me cause im not perfect in body proportion, my dad smokes, and apparently im rude when they were the ones being rude to me.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

NUMBerONEisFIRST t1_j5dme58 wrote

Most people hate their in-laws. You don't need their approval.

ddmazza t1_j5dnja3 wrote

Focus on your bf and your relationship with him. I'd believe him if he says not to worry.

Ask your bf the best way to deal with his parents.

I suggest you stop going over thete and have your bf spend time with your family. They may see that they aren't just driving you away but also their son.

Perfume not a good cover for the smell of weed, try fabreeze.

AcrobaticSource3 t1_j5dnl52 wrote

Next time you see his mom say this: “Me gusta chupar los huevos de tu hijo toda la noche”

wasted-degrees t1_j5dqkux wrote

My in-laws are South American, and they’re also judgmental and hypocritical as fuck. But that’s okay. They’re terrible to everyone in their family, including my wife, and kinda shitty people in general, so I don’t respect them or care about their opinion.

My wife is great, and she’s the one that matters. Also, my wife and my mom get along great.

wildadragon t1_j5dqukr wrote

Wanna start fucking with her, while she's in earshot start talking about how you can't wait to have a baby with him, hopefully a girl, and you'll raise her as an atheist. Before you get married of course.

AlternActive t1_j5fbaob wrote

hispanic/latin inlaws are a headache to deal with MOST of the times. My exes so far have gotten lucky (their own words) since apparently my mom is cool AF and my dad plays fornite on his 50's.

Lucky them i guess, but my own experiences with in-laws have so far been on the extremes. Super cool or super bad. Current one's cool.

ElValiente1 t1_j5gizr7 wrote

Hang in there! They don’t like change but kill them with firm kindness. Me, Hispanic, wife, white, went through this with Mexican family. There is hope

KYC3PO t1_j5hvnww wrote

How old are you? If this is a serious relationship that could eventually result in marriage, make sure you're taking good notes. They're showing you who they are. Believe them. Unless your bf grows a set, you'll potentially deal with this for a long time. Make sure he's worth it.