Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ZootOfCastleAnthrax t1_ja329ua wrote

My dermatologist told me there's a theory that rosacea is caused by sensitivity/allergy to these mites. He said Ivermectin (of purported COVID-cure fame) has been successfully used to treat rosacea b/c it's an anti-parasitic.

Which led me to wonder how people decided that an anti-parasitic could treat a viral illness.

And, to wonder whether people with oily faces are drowning the little buggers.

Marconidas t1_ja4msyr wrote

Some Alzheimer drugs were firstly designed as a anti influenza medication.
Antimalaria drugs are used for autoimmune diseases.

It's not a long shot assuming that a anti-parasitic drug can be used to treat viral illness. Other research has shown Ivermectin to have in vitro efficacy vs some viruses.

Unfortunately, it didn't work so we're left with far more expensive medications or medications that have some sort of anti-HIV activity, with the potential to increase HIV resistance as HIV is a virus that mutates too rapidly.

sryii t1_ja8ipcl wrote

Ivermectin can inhibit some functions of integrins which are needed to bring viral sequences into the nucleus. We actually knew it could inhibit other viruses from infecting cells prior to COVID-19. So we gave it a shot and while it CAN do it in cell culture it doesn't work in a full organism, at least not in a safe dose.