Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Proper_Artichoke7865 t1_j9a3z6y wrote

There are no female prophets in Islam. We had an entire side text covering why, in Islamic studies textbook

Lol

Pitiful_Paramedic895 t1_j9aa58o wrote

Why is that?

Proper_Artichoke7865 t1_j9ab03d wrote

Basically the task of a prophet is hard. Requires withstanding a lot of persecution. Not something that women could handle in the days of barbarism

I'm just stating what was written, don't down vote me

Gilamath t1_j9bqlx1 wrote

Depends on whom you ask. I was always taught that it was because societies in the Middle East around Israel (where all of the named prophets are understood to be from) were highly patriarchal and women were not allowed by their societies to participate as equals in religious life, so it would be pretty much impossible to get those societies to change their ways and follow a woman as a religious leader

Islam also believes there were many messengers of God throughout the world other than those described in the Bible and Quran, as Islam believes God’s message to be universal. Most prophets, by some Islamic theologies, came and went without ever having been known to the peoples of the Middle East. It’s quite possible that, in societies where women were the leaders of faith, that there was a woman messenger of God. That’s purely speculative, however, and only God knows