Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_ja9inr9 wrote

[deleted]

AudibleNod t1_ja9jffo wrote

Daniel Dae Kim made it his personal mission to get James the star. Not just to recognize James Hong's long career, but to increase representation on the Walk of Fame.

vafrow t1_ja9npfq wrote

I think if his role in EEAAO was just a bit bigger, he likely would have gotten a push for an Oscar nomination. But with his costar being a lock for best supporting actor win alread, and Jamie Lee Curtis getting the support as veteran actor getting a long overdue nomination, it just wasn't in the cards. But, such a great move by the cast to give him centre stage at the SAG awards last night. That's still a heck of a capper to a long career. To be 94 and on stage in front of a room full of the most famous people in Hollywood and have everyone know you're the most interesting mfer in the room.

ann0yed t1_jac8gkq wrote

I'm not familiar with the nomination process but do you mean in a symbolic way? His performance wasn't Oscar worthy... I agree he's had a long career and probably hasn't been recognized, but really an Oscar nominations for that role?

vafrow t1_jacansn wrote

Oscar nominations are about the narrative of the actors in question as much as the performance. JLC in particular is a good example, where she was getting pushed ahead of Stephanie Hsu, who had the better performance in the film.

I agree that his performance wasn't quite enough, but it's also not far off. If it was a bit bigger, and he didn't have Ke Huy Quan as a costar who's considered the biggest lock this year to win, I'm saying it's feasible.

With so much of the Oscars being the campaigning and glad handling, I think just his personality alone could get him close.

Erick3211 t1_jabiqnk wrote

Didn’t he play the restaurant manager in that Seinfeld episode where they were waiting for a table the whole time?

BrandoCalrissian1995 t1_ja9shbj wrote

Cuz it's paid for. It's not actually a sign of prestige. Just cool.

N3rdProbl3ms t1_jaa6em9 wrote

Based off the frequently asked questions of the Hollywood Walk of Fame:

People can apply, or nominate a person who fits all 6 minimum requirements. It takes $250 to apply. The application is then reviewed by the HWF committee who meet once a year. They receive between 200-300 applications a year + the nominations. An average of 30 applications/nominations are chosen by the committee. The 30 "winners" are then notified and given 2 years to decide if they accept. If they accept, they must then pay $50K for the creation and installation of the star, the ceremony, and the life maintenance of the star.

A little bit of thought is given into choosing who makes it on the walk...but i think the real question is....how many times has a celebrity applied, or was nominated, before they actually got their Star in? Is there a celeb who applied 5 times till they finally got it on the 6th? I wanna see some stats

RigasTelRuun t1_jaad0rc wrote

What a racket. 75k a year in nominations plus 50k per star. Bet more on licensing the name etc. A committee members probably gets paid more than I make in ten years for maybe a day sitting at a table per year.

barnacledoor t1_jaaqsrb wrote

looks like an average of 20 new stars per year. so, $1m in star fees are collected per year. i wonder how much the whole thing costs per star between the construction and all of the other stuff like media and such. the $75k, that's basically paying one or two people's salary to review those applications (depending on how much they are paid). the application fees seem reasonable, but the $50k per star seems a bit much. i wonder how much they have to pay for the permits and such. i could see the gov't making it expensive.

StrykrVII t1_jab2qdh wrote

And they also have to pay for someone to clean and maintain them, as well. So yeah, it's a little overpriced, but it's not like they are just pocketing ALL the money and bailing. There is more to it than just "pay the money and get a star".

Academic-Total2029 t1_ja9xltr wrote

Doesn’t take away from the notion he should have had one long ago, you know? Every generation starting with gen X has seen his movies

Blind-PieRat t1_jaa665g wrote

Uhh.. it's up to him if he wants to pay for it or not isn't it?

It looks like he decided he didn't want/need it, but someone else came along and paid for it for him .

Liv1ng_Static t1_jaaisib wrote

He's even more of a treasure of the industry for not caring about such a vain accoutrement to his legacy. Such a phenomenal and wonderful actor deserves all the praise he gets.

DrKurgan t1_ja9suod wrote

You have to apply and pay a fee to get one. You have to be a show business celebrity as well, but if you don't apply you're not getting one.

N3rdProbl3ms t1_jaa6hwt wrote

Based off the frequently asked questions of the Hollywood Walk of Fame:People can apply, or nominate a person who fits all 6 minimum requirements. It takes $250 to apply. The application is then reviewed by the HWF committee who meet once a year. They receive between 200-300 applications a year + the nominations. An average of 30 applications/nominations are chosen by the committee. The 30 "winners" are then notified and given 2 years to decide if they accept. If they accept, they must then pay $50K for the creation and installation of the star, the ceremony, and the life maintenance of the star.

I wonder how many times has a celebrity applied, or was nominated, before they actually got their Star approved? Is there a celeb who applied 5 times till they finally got it on the 6th? I wanna see some stats

liquidsyphon t1_ja9q6u7 wrote

Pretty sure you can buy your own if you want it done faster.

RigasTelRuun t1_jaacomd wrote

You don't "earn" a star. You buy it. There is a committee who approves or denies the bid. They cost 50k+.

vemenium t1_jabp2ks wrote

Studios often do it as marketing, as it costs $55,000 and requires a press conference, it just about always coincides with a push for awards, a chance to have a little, “hey hasn’t this person had a great career, why not vote for them and/or their current movie?”

CarlThe94Pathfinder t1_jaccabh wrote

It's not a real award and generally is assumed you can just openly purchase these and slap your name onto it. The entire thing is a sham

Hemingwavy t1_jacia1c wrote

You don't receive them. You just buy them after being notable enough. They cost tens of thousands of dollars and you have to pay thousands of dollars annually afterwards.