Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Thecna2 t1_ja7kx7f wrote

The reason theyre remembered differently is a bit more complex than 'they only remember stuff that they won'.

The Spanish Armadas specific PLAN was to help invade England and overthrow the monarchy and put a Catholic on the throne. Where Spain was considered more powerful than England and at an advantage.

Defeating this, by whatever means, is going to leave a significant mark in the memory of the people of the time.

The English Armadas plans were a lot more modest, kick the Spanish fleet, grab a few random islands in the Atlantic, (the Azores), cause some local fuss by creating a rebellion in Portugal and maybe grab some Spanish treasure. These were, to the English at the time, far more vague and ephemeral goals than the Spanish Armadas, and the subsequent failure of it would have led to loads of grumbling in the local press for 6months and then everyone would move on.

The names, Spanish Armada vs English Armada may seem co-equal in nature, but the potential risk vs success were quite different in the way they would imprint on the people of the time.

I dont have a Spanish education but I bet that the failure of the English Armada doesnt come up much in Spanish History either, at least not to the extent that the Spanish Armada is mentioned in English History.

AiladeC t1_ja9ul6i wrote

I'm a Spaniard and this is the first time I ever heard about the English Armada. And the Spanish Armada story is pretty much common knowledge around here.