Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Viperbunny t1_je7zocx wrote

She did it because she wanted people to understand what they had gone through and wanted the survivors to have some way to tell their story. Instead, people labeled her a money grabbing opportunitist and it destroyed her career.

YourlocalTitanicguy t1_je8nqke wrote

Not quite, although your overall point is correct :) The only real evidence we have of her personal drama is all press, and it’s not really great source material :)

1912 society loved melodrama, and the frenzy and demand for Titanic material started to turn violent. It’s just good press for your film if you can promote an actual survivor, in actual clothes, and on top of that paint her as a tortured yet heroic figure bravely fighting her trauma for you… the viewer. This was a society obsessed with heroics. The reports of her bravery were all carefully constructed in press releases from her studio.

As for ‘ruined’ … I wouldn’t say so. The film was an international hit, with a only a few editorials grumbling about taste. Dorothy’s stepping away from film seemed to be more a choice than a failure. Her very scandalous public affair and case of manslaughter did much more to derail her than a hit movie, but she did switch to theatre and opera between the two.

Whatever happened, we don’t know, but like you said - after that film she went from being a huge movie star to …. not. There are multiple possibilities why, but our sources are all tabloid and come with the purchase of a salt mine :) the film itself though was very popular.

She went on to live, well… quite a wild life :)

typhoidtimmy t1_je8pi57 wrote

Read the truth about Titanic lore from a user named u/YourLocalTitanicguy

It feels like you were scolded by Sir David Attenborough for saying something slightly off about animals 😁

YourlocalTitanicguy t1_je8r3p7 wrote

Absolutely no scolding here :) Titanic history is complex and bogged down by tabloid and pop-history. The gist was correct, just debatable :)

[deleted] t1_je8z8oj wrote

lol this could’ve been written today and still rings true. Very little changes I suppose

WalkerBRiley t1_jeajuj2 wrote

Human's love watching a train-wreck as well as being told how to feel about it.