Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

EmphasisFinal t1_jd4zvfm wrote

And nothing about hitting it is funny.

TheWildGooseberry t1_jd6p9w5 wrote

To misquote Alfred Hitchcock: everyone enjoys a nice funny bone hit provided it's not their bone.

413mopar t1_jd5otsz wrote

I used to hit it prettyregularly when i was young , i dont recall hitting it at all in the past 25 years tho. Wonder why.

pontecorvvo t1_jd5tpxs wrote

I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe when we are young we are growing and dont judge where our bodies are in space very well. Or maybe there isn’t as much arm flailing happening in adulthood

Ensabanur81 t1_jd50sxx wrote

They can also become entrapped in the tunnel, causing that hit nerve feeling to never stop until it's fixed. If you type all day, stretch your arms/elbows! I had to have a special half-cast made in the ER to keep my arm stuck straight out for a week while I lived off prednisone and dilaudid until it settled down.

birddit t1_jd57y6y wrote

I elbowed some poor dude in the mouth(before mouthguards) while wrestling in high school. Scar tissue formed over the ulnar nerve. Any slight bump on my elbow was like a lightning strike. While having carpal tunnel surgery they also relocated the ulnar nerve along the inside of my arm. Eventually the nerve grew back in its original place. Now I have two funnybones.

Ensabanur81 t1_jd5edi9 wrote

This settles it, they're just spiteful.

birddit t1_jd5ergh wrote

That they are! At least neither nerve is super sensitive now.

Ensabanur81 t1_jd5f4vh wrote

Same, I'd be pretty annoyed if it betrayed me AND haunted me.

RUNdoneDIDit t1_jd677a8 wrote

Your nerves grew back? I didn't think that could happen.

birddit t1_jd6ajvw wrote

It surprised the shit out of me! In hind sight I was surprised that he even did it. One slip up and the two little fingers in my hand would be numb for the rest of my life. Why not just remove the scar tissue and be done with it? I think he was just bored and wanted to experiment to change things up a bit.

blind_bambi t1_jd57zlw wrote

Hitting it really hard makes your arm feel like it's on fire.

mt379 t1_jdngh17 wrote

You can easily flick it intentionally as well. Not as intense of a feeling but weird as hell.

jloflin t1_jd511b5 wrote

It’s at the end of the humerus

Morlaix t1_jd54i34 wrote

In Dutch we call it the telephone bone

KuhLealKhaos t1_jd532d1 wrote

That doesn't explain why it causes me to act like an unhinged goober when I hit it wrong

Bigtunajim t1_jd61q80 wrote

I thought it was the boner…

ImpressivePatience69 t1_jd62nja wrote

It's still covered? I can't imagine what it'd be like to smack a raw nerve.

CalmAndSense t1_jd65zi5 wrote

It's covered by skin and a thin layer of subcutaneous tissue, but it's more exposed than most nerves.

RUNdoneDIDit t1_jd671gw wrote

U thought u had a small bone in your elbow that makes u laugh...

tiptree t1_jd7dl8h wrote

In Swedish it is called getting a "widow hit" (änkestöt) when that happens. Because it is like becoming a widow: it hurts really bad but it gets better quickly.

HotPocket_Consumed t1_jd55sjl wrote

First thing you learn in Karate for liquidating an aggressor. You chop this nerve the battle is over with lethal result.

−1