Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

marmorset OP t1_jcfedf2 wrote

The buildings along the coast are also built as breakwaters, and multiple layers of glass are required to withstand the waves. The first expeditions to Canada sailed from Saint-Malo, and it later became a home to pirates that would harass British ships in the channel.

Dawnawaken92 t1_jcfgk9f wrote

I wonder what the tide going out looks like.

marmorset OP t1_jcfjfop wrote

There are numerous pictures and even a time-lapse video online. I don't like traveling, but that's one place I'd like to visit, everything looks amazing.

Eogard t1_jcg7upt wrote

You are correct, but to be more precise Saint Malo was a Corsair city. So pirates who were armed and approved by the King of France. So pirates used to disrupt foreign expeditions, a form of political pawn. The most famous is probably Surcouf, born in Saint Malo.

nathynjoseph t1_jcg6gai wrote

I first heard about this city in the book “All The Light We Cannot See” by Anthony Doerr. Amazing facts.

PunkPint t1_jcfhkef wrote

Tom Scott did a recent video where he talks about the geography of places with usually high tides: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCrTsWtPVIY (go to 1:18 for the high tides bit)

LipTrev t1_jcg516m wrote

Tom Scott makes amazing engaging videos, but he gets so many things half right that I kinda want to call him QI the YouTube guy.

I love QI, and they ask such great questions, and have smart funny people on to talk about them. Might well call them Tom Scott the TV Show, for their likability, and interesting topics, and humor. But man they get so many things wrong. Which, thankfully, they lean into as the show goes on, as Allan Davies often loses points for simply stating as fact something that was stated as fact on previous episodes, and in fact was just wrong.

Tom Scott, on the other hand, justs leaves his misunderstandings out there without comment. I still love his videos, but it is very much buyer beware as to whether he gets things right.

−4

EpicAura99 t1_jcjnn12 wrote

Care to actually provide examples of this claim?

OI01Il0O t1_jcgib9y wrote

If it didn’t have the sea wall it would be French toast.

FollowingSome3237 t1_jch1zz0 wrote

I went there a few times when I was holidaying about 10 years ago.

Lovely people, lovely architecture and so much culture.

I would go back in a heartbeat.

Brock_Way t1_jcji2sm wrote

Now Saint-Malo is under 40 feet of water.

Climate change is real, people!

CornelXCVI t1_jcfjufm wrote

Why is a french website using feet? It's 12.2 m btw

marmorset OP t1_jcfkall wrote

The website is all in English, I suspect it's meant for American travelers. And 12 meters doesn't seem that high, but 40 feet is a lot.

bookersbooks t1_jcfl3zq wrote

As a Canadian, 12 meters is a lot. Even more, Fundy tides in Canada are just over 15 meters.

CornelXCVI t1_jcfndq4 wrote

I'd understand if they put both metric and imperial in the english version, but why only feet? Altough there are a surprising number of translations (at the very bottom of the page), there are a massive amount of people that have english as a second language that don't use or understand the imperial system.

−2