Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

T_Noctambulist t1_jd6458h wrote

We have rainforests and deserts; Ski mountains and hot springs; Volcanoes and cedar groves. Don't judge us by Portland and Seattle.

Saltmetoast t1_jd62vdh wrote

Half of Oregon looks like Arizona. It has scorpions and snakes

oceanduciel t1_jd64uai wrote

Didn’t know the first part but snakes aren’t exclusive to desert climates.

Saltmetoast t1_jd6eo41 wrote

Generally they aren't a fan of damp though, unless sea snakes. Should have seen my face when we found a scorpion though, colour me surprised!

https://smithrock.com

Also I recommend the movie even cowgirls get the blues not as good the book obvs but the rock makes an appearance

−2

Rich-Juice2517 t1_jd5tu89 wrote

Yes. That's where Oregon is

I'm not sure what you're surprised at

oceanduciel t1_jd5vlun wrote

Just for that level of dryness to be present in that region. Since it’s a temperate rainforest and everything.

youtocin t1_jd69t4z wrote

Look at a satellite map of Oregon. Most of the green is concentrated in the Cascadian range of the west. It's mostly desert as you go east.

Rich-Juice2517 t1_jd5w6nj wrote

Ah yeah, the rainforest is only in the Olympic peninsula from what I've seen. It gets wet a lot there

Edit: to add we've been at like 80% of our regular water table and in a drought the last few years

KittenPics t1_jd5zgm6 wrote

Yeah, that’s what everyone thinks, that it rains every day. I assure you, it does not.

McRaige t1_jd7214w wrote

We do not get enough average annual rain in most parts of Oregon to be a temperate rainforest by about 10 inches. And even without that, the wooded, foresty areas that everyone thinks of when thinking of oregon are on the northwestern coastal areas. The rest of the state is varying states of grasslands and dessert, and while less poplated, is the larger portion of the state by far.