Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

erishun t1_jciis9s wrote

And they were prearranged and fully planned in close conjunction with the postal service. It’s not like they licked a stamp and stuck the kid in a box.

The parents worked with post office staff to choose the appropriate day and route well in advance.

personalhale t1_jcijtqf wrote

Reddit loves to post a headline without context though. It'll be upvoted way beyond the actual story because some person read a snippet before and thought they were "smart."

PineapplesAreLame t1_jcjnkme wrote

For every "fact" post, 10000s read the title and no more, a few 100 read the 10th down comment with the real info/context.

Most of what people think about the world is just fiction effectively. I believe it's a large problem with society. Worst is with news events and science (cherry picked articles with sensationalist headlines).

Not limited to reddit of course.

You can usually see if a title is corrected cos the vote % will be a bit lower, maybe 80-93%. Some go back and downvote it. But clearly most people upvote and move on

BylenS t1_jckd9db wrote

Back in the day on rural routes you could ask them to bring you other items... like milk, sugar etc. I once had a woman ask me to pick her up a loaf of bread. (This was in 1992) I told her we don't do that anymore. She got mad and said, "Well, you use to bring me what I needed!" So yeah, I can see someone saying, "John can you stop by Annie's house and pick up Billy for me on your way out here."