Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SwamiSweatSocks t1_ir8vwru wrote

ReneDeGames t1_ir9czh4 wrote

got a source for that?

ReneDeGames t1_ir9hht6 wrote

that link says that "Currency in Circulation" hit 1 Trillion on 9-Mar-2011, and is currently at 2.2 Trillion.

The "Total Assets of the Federal Reserve" follows the 2008 1t to 8.7t today curve, also, this is raw data, which is effectively unusable for the average person, because it doesn't say exactly what was asked so I have no idea what all is tied up in the various statements.

justdoubleclick t1_ir9hqx1 wrote

Yes, it’s raw data directly published by the federal reserve. When the OP referred to the fed printing money they weren’t referring to physical notes printed, but the act of adding money into the system. The way they do that is through the repo system and their balance sheet shows how much they have created… this is extremely oversimplified of course..

So the $8.7T is money they have created which the banks can use to make more money and it all ends up in the system and driving inflation.

ReneDeGames t1_ir9k4xt wrote

Sure, that could be true, however quoting raw data at me is useless because I have no idea if your interpretation of the meaning of those number is correct, because "Total Assets of the Federal Reserve" could mean a bunch of different things.

vladimir_pimpin t1_ira6bhr wrote

American dollar: stronger against world currencies than pretty much ever

You: The fed is causing inflation!

SwamiSweatSocks t1_ira7tqd wrote

It’s because all the other world governments are doing exactly the same thing right now

vladimir_pimpin t1_iradhi1 wrote

That’s just not true though.

What you’re saying implies that the central banks of every other nation are stronger than the American central bank, otherwise they wouldn’t be able to put inflate the dollar with their policies.

Which they don’t. In fact, we see the opposite, with the American central bank actually crushing every other country in restricting money to fight inflation, primarily due to the fact that the American central bank is the strongest one in the world, for better or for worse.

inspektor31 t1_ireqj8h wrote

I hope they’re getting a better deal on printer ink than I am. Cries in HP.