Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

shallowblue t1_ir8yh9v wrote

The number (and quality) of convenience stores in Japan really surprised me - over there they aren't just a place to get a donut and coke at 3am waiting for a cab, but the main shop you go to every day.

iwanttobeacavediver t1_ir9hexr wrote

I'm not in Japan but another Asian country and here the convenience stores are always busy. Among other things they allow you to purchase instant noodles or things like hotdogs or fried chicken and then there is a seating area to eat them in. They even provide chopsticks and hot water for the noodles. Result is that late at night or at lunch times they're crammed with people.

bigbossfearless t1_irakg0v wrote

I've been to a lot of local convenience stores in my travels throughout Asia and the Pacific, and man they are on a whole other level compared to ours in the west. Sushi, onigiri, hot ramen, buns and bao and dumplings, roasted pork and duck and chicken skewers, just all kinds of great stuff. It's no wonder Asian countries have lower obesity rates, there's quality food available when you need it instead of donuts and chicken wings.