Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

InsuranceToTheRescue t1_irfwxwg wrote

For all the dipshits that are gonna be like, "We're 'Murica and we're different than those other commie, metric countries! Besides, it's not like using different systems causes any problems."

It almost caused a drug overdose. It caused us to almost lose a satellite. It caused us to crater a Mars orbiter into the planet. It caused an airplane to run out of fuel mid flight. Finally, it caused a roller coaster to derail.

Folks currently alive will probably never be able to fully grasp metric. We'll likely never hear that something is 20km away and just have an intuitive estimate of how far away that is like we would if we were told it was 12mi. The same would probably be true of weights, and volumes, and other measurements.

But our kids and grandkids would know. And we would finally be able to work internationally without the confusion. Confusion that will someday cost lives instead of cash and the heartbreak of which will force us to change.

EightyGig t1_irfyadc wrote

Sir this is a Wendy's

Tokasmoka420 t1_irfz76d wrote

In that case, Spicy Chicken combo, no veggies with a coke.

InsuranceToTheRescue t1_irfzord wrote

A liter of coke.

chadslc t1_irhfmdj wrote

I want a goddamned litre of cola.

TheSimpWhisperer t1_irg0irg wrote

Wendy's Chicken Sandwich is criminally underrated.

jdmbuick t1_irgor09 wrote

And here I was thinking all the comments on Reddit were ridiculous. Thank you for saying it.

MasterFubar t1_irg4y3d wrote

To be fair, the problems you mention are caused by the confusion between the two systems, not by the use of the medieval system by itself. To avoid this type of confusion, airplanes everywhere still have their altitude measured in feet and speed measured in knots. This is true even for airplanes made by Airbus and Embraer.

However, the medieval system does have shortcomings even without the confusion caused by conversion. For instance, adding fractions is much more likely to cause error than adding decimal numbers. That's the reason why machinists in the US have abandoned fractions long ago, using exclusively decimal inches in their measurements.

gordosport t1_irg6h03 wrote

I remember in school in the 80's that it was brought up that the country might be changing to metric. I think we spent the day going over it but nothing became of it.

Fast_Polaris22 t1_irgkmex wrote

America has officially adopted metric but has never implemented it.

captain_flak OP t1_irgrdvn wrote

The powerful milk and dairy lobby was against it. It would have resulted in a total overhaul of their industry.

B_P_G t1_irhunkz wrote

There's no way for the government to force anyone to use it. The system is out there. Everyone knows about it. Some people and industries use it but most don't. It's a major burden to switch and it isn't worth it.

kelldricked t1_iri0tcw wrote

Indeed. Its like a language. The whole world learns it as kids except for 4 countrys. And not being able to properly communicate will cause damage.

pjabrony t1_iri8gc5 wrote

> Besides, it's not like using different systems causes any problems." > > It almost caused a drug overdose. It caused us to almost lose a satellite. It caused us to crater a Mars orbiter into the planet. It caused an airplane to run out of fuel mid flight. Finally, it caused a roller coaster to derail.

I agree. These are all problems. That's why the rest of the world should give up metric and use the correct system.

Kriffer123 t1_irl5wfw wrote

The aforementioned problems are caused by sheer incompetence, not the existence of imperial measurements. It would be like blaming paper for a boat made out of paper sinking