Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

rpaul9578 OP t1_iu2jxaf wrote

Sunnygurrl t1_iu3l0m5 wrote

Here's the thing, a person who commits sexual assault isn't going to magically stop because of a post. They're going to do it regardless. I know from experience. I begged and pleaded with my stepfather not to. Didn't do shit. Fuck this comment making you seem like some kind of good guy for dragging Chester and his past into your misguided white knight attempt.

rpaul9578 OP t1_iu4vsak wrote

I'm really sorry that this happened to you. It's so damaging. I agree that it might not do anything but the alternative is we don't create awareness and that's not going to help anything either.

Sunnygurrl t1_iu4w0fr wrote

Creating awareness is fine. Pretending this going stop a person from committing a crime is what I have an issue with.

rpaul9578 OP t1_iu4wfcq wrote

I'm not pretending that this is going to stop a person from committing a crime. I do believe that we don't talk enough in this country about the long-term effects of sexual abuse and we really need to. We need to share stories like this in order for people to see them who might be thinking about hurting a child. Who might be currently hurting a child. Thinking that it's not a big deal because they might not remember it or just not thinking through how this is going to affect them for the rest of their lives. These stories are important to share. It just might help somebody.

InSearchOfGreenLight t1_iuftd01 wrote

You have a point.

Maybe when I was 5 my father would have actually pondered it. Now heโ€™s too far gone.

Maybe people wouldnโ€™t judge fat people so much if they knew that eating disorders come out of extreme childhood abuse.