Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

WahooSS238 t1_iso6dby wrote

Liquid hydrogen seems like it would be a massive safety hazard, no?

fredsam25 t1_isoekpj wrote

Hazards can be managed. It's just about cost.

bundt_chi t1_isol6c2 wrote

Most medical facilities already have lines to supply oxygen throughout a building which is itself a dangerous gas. I would think they should be relatively well equipped to manage the risks of hydrogen.

Kantas t1_isoz6wx wrote

Plus, if the liquid O2 and liquid H2 lines rupture and mix we will get the first lunar hospital as well!

mrbellthebutler t1_isp3q13 wrote

Oxygen units gaseous form only becomes dangerous when it makes up 23% (it only makes up 21% of the air we breath) of the surrounding atmosphere. Oxygen arrives at hospitals in liquid form and goes through a process to turn it back into a gas which is easier to move through the hospital. Also, gases such as nitrous oxide, entinox (50/50 nitrous oxide and oxygen) and heliox are generally present in them. Hydrogen lines have a whole new set up to work on. For example releasing hydrogen gas you have to put it into a bucket of water and release it that way not straight into the atmosphere.

bundt_chi t1_ispc97c wrote

I don't think MRI machines would require a liquid hydrogen supply line, i may be wrong. My point was that they likely already have and understand hazardous gas management procedures.

mrbellthebutler t1_ispo090 wrote

No you are right. I was more thinking along the lines of hydrogen in general being used if it could be. You are also correct on the procedures etc. Part of my job is I am a Medical Gas AP so I am authorized to work on pharmaceutical, technical & medical gases so I know exactly what you mean in regard to management procedures.