Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

beleafinyoself t1_iumixot wrote

Why is it a red flag? It's their home. Sometimes it's a cultural practice.

jimizeppelinfloyd t1_iumk3zs wrote

It's controlling and I just think it's weird to have a bunch of barefoot adults at a dinner party. In my culture, when someone is a guest at your house, you extend courtesy to them first. It's like guests washing their own dishes, it's nice if they do it without being asked, but forcing them to do it is gauche and indicative of a lack of generosity. That's just my opinion.

−17

J3EBS t1_iumrmed wrote

When you walk around outside, do you watch everywhere you step? Do you avoid every piece of gum, every cigarette butt, every food wrapper? No, you don't. Where do those things end up? On the bottom of your shoe.

If you think that me inviting you to my place is free reign to trudge the garbage on the bottom of your shoe around my house, you're mistaken.

takanishi79 t1_iumstmx wrote

I've found that it's largely regional. In the Midwest, or colder climates shoes off is expected. There's just too much snow, dirt, and other stuff floating around for half the year. The other half it tends to be rainy, so now you're dealing with mud.

Contrast to the American southwest, where it's dry and hot all the time. You're not going to get mud in the house if there's no mud anywhere.

I live in Minnesota, and we keep a stack of slippers around for guests so they can take their shoes off, and still keep their feet warm.

WesternOne9990 t1_iumzkh5 wrote

In Minnesota and I haven’t been in anyones home that lets you keep your shoes on. Sounds really gross.

jimizeppelinfloyd t1_iun4hbm wrote

That's probably a huge part of it. Tracking visible dirt is not an issue in my area and shoes off is very uncommon.

jimizeppelinfloyd t1_iun4a2q wrote

Ok, but I'm just saying I consider that a negative personality trait.

−2