Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

IKnowWhoYouAreGuy t1_ius5sv3 wrote

You know, I just reread your comment, because you're the least smart person I've interacted with today and I wanted to be sure I wasn't being too harsh, but no, you're just plain dumb wrong. The internet existing does not destroy culture or history. What kind of asinine position is it that now that everyone is able to share information that your information is no longer relevant? You must be a nationalist. Go put on your MAGA hat an enjoy your chamomile tea

−2

PolyPanFemme t1_ius7oiq wrote

Wow. You know so much about me! Except you don't. I don't think that the ability to share information with the world is bad. I think that unregulated changes to language is a little idiotic. I appreciate language that means what it says. When any word can mean anything, we are no longer able to truly communicate. It's not a question of relevance. It's a question of literal communication. I'm not a nationalist, either. I think the arbitrary separation of humans based on a line somebody drew is idiotic. I do quite enjoy a good chamomile infusion, though. Helps me sleep.

And before you continue to attempt to insult my intelligence, remember that you're the one spamming someone because they disagree with your beliefs about tea.

SentientStardust85 t1_iushlig wrote

The best part about all of this is that they think the British would like a word about tea.

The plant/process that they stole from China and India.

Chamomile is 100% an infusion, and does indeed taste good. Coffee does not taste good, as is evidenced by the thousand things we add to it to make it taste good so we can get our cafienne fix in the morning.

IKnowWhoYouAreGuy t1_iusby1f wrote

So you're upset that your original language is not the default one? Sounds pretty nationalist to me. To put things in perspective here, you're very very wrong, so wrong that my argument isn't 'against you', it's against your draconian definition for something that has existed for millenia before you and you're too pee-brained to understand that you aren't angry with me, you're angry that you need subtitles to live in the world. Time to retire...

−1

PolyPanFemme t1_iush5ll wrote

I'm not angry at anyone. I'm also not upset that my "original" language isn't the default. (It's not my original language.) As I've said, I have no problem with the evolution of language (I'm actually hoping it eventually all becomes one language so there are no barriers). My problem is with language, in general, being treated like the rules of language are irrelevant. That leads to multiple, fragmented interpretations of nearly any word, which makes it harder for people to communicate, thus evolving backwards. I'm beginning to feel a little sorry for you, though. Do you always feel the need to insult, based on false assumptions, anyone you think is wrong? I'm not asking as a troll. I'm genuinely concerned. This conversation could have been had without assumptions or insults. Why did you feel the need to immediately take shots at me personally, especially when you later claim that your problem isn't actually with me?

IKnowWhoYouAreGuy t1_iushf73 wrote

If you are so versed in language, you should learn what you are: a pedant. Dumbness is only cured through learning. Do you feel that your behavior has changed as a result of action or experiences here? Good. Be less of a pedant and people won't "insult you" for being a pedant, because after all, it's the right word for it, despite most people would have colloquially termed you an idiot or worse. That's your point, right? Just want to be sure you're pedantic about the right thing here...

PolyPanFemme t1_iusobzq wrote

Be that as it may, you are simply proving my final point now.

To address your comment as something other than a childish outburst:

I am aware that I am, at times, somewhat pedantic. But when I speak, the people around me know what I'm saying to them without having to do ten minutes of mental gymnastics.

Also, have you had fun today, trying to pick on an autistic person? I hope so.

IKnowWhoYouAreGuy t1_iusuy8g wrote

I don't know about you being an autistic person, I know about you being wrong. Fix yourself and be better. Don't lay your mistakes on your handicap, you are in an opinionated battle and on the losing side here. Tea. Tea. Tea. Tea. Tea. Get it through your head and avoid uncomfortable situations like this in the future. Be as pedantic as you like, but at the end of the day you are wrong and no amount of crying is going to pivot the focus to your handicap from your wrongness. If you need to do ten minutes of mental gymnastics when someone asks you if you'd like a glass of tea, you have much bigger problems than autism.

Edit- also, "be that as it may" is you saying I'm right. Just accept the L and move on. No one is perfect and change is growth. Time for you to grow.

PolyPanFemme t1_iut75hm wrote

Yes, be that as it may was me agreeing with you that I am sometimes pedantic.

Again, as I am not the one drawing this out, perhaps you should take your own advice.

Pedantic: an insulting word used to describe someone who annoys others by correcting small errors, caring too much about minor details, or emphasizing their own expertise especially in some narrow or boring subject matter.

Sounds to me like I'm not the only pedant here... Which one of us is claiming expertise in language? I certainly never did. You keep dragging me back into a discussion I was done with hours ago, for what purpose, I wonder? Is it to staunchly defend the current use of one language? Or is it to prove me wrong? Is it so important to you to be right on Reddit that you're just going to keep hammering away? Or are you going to stop being childish because I, like many others, choose not to agree with you about the validity of certain linguistic conventions?

Your call.