Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

InfiniteJestV t1_iy9fetu wrote

Aluminum*

FTFY

Edit: somehow y'all are taking this very personally. I was trying to be cheeky... obviously the American spelling is correct though :P

redditjunky2025 t1_iy9gzo9 wrote

Charles Schultz knew what he was talking about.

bolanrox t1_iy9i6i3 wrote

what about those new plastic trees the Old Man was talking about, that look like a bunch of plastic pipe cleaners?

InfiniteJestV t1_iy9l5kf wrote

I mean. The brits spell it incorrectly. I think the fix is totally needed.

(I don't actually care one way or the other. It's just fun to pick on British spelling and pronunciation.)

−4

bolanrox t1_iy9lps8 wrote

after 40+ years of watching the special, I finally bothered to look at what one looked like... How exactly do you store one of them? the wiki example looks pretty damn solid and pokey

InappropriateTA t1_iy9qt8b wrote

Aluminium follows the naming format of a lot of other post-transition metals.

We have Gallium, Germanium, Cadmium, Indium, etc. not Gallum, Germanum, Cadmum, Indum, etc.

Also, it was a British chemist who is credited as the person who named it. And it was originally proposed as alumium, which was criticized by other chemists from other countries who thought it should be named for the oxide alumina from which the metal would be isolated.

Anyway, it was also that same British chemist who used the spelling aluminum in a chemistry textbook.

genraq t1_iy9x2jy wrote

Like the artificial trees?

The box for our 10 year old one shredded some time in year 3 so I just stack all the parts and wrap the tree lights around it, shove it where the sun doesn’t shine (the attic you pervs).

So far so good.

plugubius t1_iy9y3pz wrote

Instead, families everywhere prop up a dry piece of kindling and drape it in overloaded electrical wire.

jcd1974 t1_iyacgf8 wrote

And TV executives were wrong about everything.

They disliked the jazz score.

They disliked the use of real children for the voices.

They disliked Linus quoting the Bible.

Schultz had to fight for all of these.

Im-Currently-Working t1_iyagehr wrote

My favorite part about that is when Linus knocks on an aluminum tree and it sounds like he's knocking on a giant metal cistern.

Call_In_The_Bin t1_iyau2st wrote

Back in the mid-60's we had one of those, lit by the mandatory slowly spinning four-color-wheel spotlight. We thought we were so avant-garde. It got old pretty quick.