Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

IdlyCurious t1_iydwsx0 wrote

> The lore episodes are pretty shit once it became obvious they had no overarching plan after like season 2

Sadly true. Occasionally I get my hopes up for a show, but very rarely does it actually pan out in such a way that all the characters' previous actions make any sort sense. I quit X-Files well before it ended. I did actually go to the movie, though - I actually thought it might answer some questions for once. It was a real disappointment.

And there are too often too many episodes with "shocking" twists or events that are never followed through on, don't have appropriate follow up, don't make sense with prior events, etc.

I really do sometimes these days favor "episodic" tv where there is no over-reaching story they are trying to tie to together, no finish-line. Sure, characters can grow and change over time, but at least you can follow what's going on if you miss and episode, and you don't have to tear your hair out every season finale because because the "big event" just invalidated or ignored half the prior season.

Also, episodic shows are much easier for casual rewatching, when you don't want to rewatch an entire season. Though, of course, some people don't like to rewatch shows and there's some business reasons to avoid that, too.