Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

c010rb1indusa t1_iy7wupx wrote

> I remember people having iPhones and iPods. The issue was because of the first iPhone's super garbage battery life. If you listened to music on your iPhone all day, it'd be dead before you got home. Having a dedicated device to listen to music for hours at a time is way more functional than having a dedicated device to check Twitter once in a while, especially when the Twitter app did the exact same thing the dedicated device would do.

This isn't the reason people hung on to dedicated devices. The iPod Classic had a 160GB HDD at the time vs the 8GB of flash storage on the iPhone. It was litteraly 20x the space. Streaming wasn't a thing yet, people were still syncing their music with their computers and they had built up dozens of GBs worth of music & videos.

TheRealEvanG t1_iy7zeau wrote

I don't want to be "that guy," but the iPod classic had been discontinued by 2009. Gen 6 was released in 2007. I remember my junior year of high school (2008) when one of the guys came in bragging and showing off his customized/engraved 160 GB Gen 1 iPod, and we were all like "Bro...iPod nano." Almost everyone I remember having an iPod in my school had either an iPod nano or an iPod Shuffle. For an 8GB device, you're talking about 1500-2000 mp3s, which is a lot of songs.

Most people I knew who had an iPod Classic and an iPhone had both because they had their iPod Classic before the iPhone came out, so they kept using it.

TemporalSidus t1_iy8jzqx wrote

2009 sounds a bit too early; I remember they still had them at least a few years beyond that. I was still into the MP3 player market at that time (mainly into competitors to the iPod), and the iPod Classic was still an option.

Quick Google search says 2014 discontinuation.

c010rb1indusa t1_iy8vru3 wrote

> and we were all like "Bro...iPod nano.

Lol I would have been like "Bro....that Nano won't even fit 1/5 of my library" on there. You're also forgetting video. Remember iPods played movies and tv shows sold through the iTunes store. Those took up lots of space and were very popular. And in 2008, the iPod Touch was the new hotness for iPods, not the iPod Nano. You're off by about 3 years. 2005/6 is when the Nano had it's moment in the sun. Also the Classic wasn't discontinued until 2014.