Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FourFurryCats t1_ivgfki5 wrote

If you want a great multi-day read, you need to visit this thread on Cruise Critic

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1171002-never-too-old/

It is the story of a remarkable man named Egon, who did exactly what this person did. He chose to live out the remainder of his days on a cruise ship.

His post begins:

Dear friends,

come the middle of September, you’ll not get any more forwardings from me and I’ll ask you to take me off your mailing list, if I happen to be on it. From that time onwards and for at least one entire year, my internet access will be severely restricted, although I hope to stay in touch with many friends on a personal level.

But let me explain…

Having outlived my wife, many close friends and. with exception of my son, all my family, I’ve reached the age where assisted living with its amenities looms large. I visited several such facilities but despite comfortable lodgings, the often quite pleasant surroundings exude a depressing “Waiting for God” feeling for me when I see some of the residents. I think that I am not ready for this- yet.

meeyeam t1_ivh1sfd wrote

TIL there are people named Egon who are not in the field of ghost busting.

digitalscale t1_ivh4gaa wrote

Who says he isn't? There must be plenty of ghosts on cruise ships, they have a lot of deaths on board.