Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

NoThroWaAccount t1_iy3b1cz wrote

has anyone seen these lectures? if yes, are they good. if they are good: what have u based that on.

i wanna learn stuff, but i am bad at assessing quality of information.

please and thank you

PussyStapler t1_iy3hp23 wrote

I just browsed through a few, including topics in which I know very well. These seem to be ~hour long talks on specialized topics. They seem comparable to a keynote address one might see at a scientific seminar. The topics are fairly niche, like an upper level college course. Picture of you just walked in on a grad level lecture of some random course you didn't know existed, like "The economic impact of health law and policy."

If you want to learn more, I'd recommend something like Khan academy, as it's designed for the general audience, and have topics that are a bit more introductory or general. Also, the production quality is better at keeping you engaged. The Gresham lectures are simply that: a lecture by a professor on a particular topic. They sometimes have a little bit of "death by PowerPoint" going on.

Although some lectures are interesting to everyone, like "life in the universe", many of the lectures have a less broad audience. Like unless you are into the history of technology you might not want to listen to an hour long lecture about Victorians' conception of space and time. It's very dry.

It's unsurprising that so few people are aware of these lectures. They aren't really marketed or aimed at the general public.

NoThroWaAccount t1_iy3ih3v wrote

THIS is the info i was looking for. thank u so much for having taken the time and checking out Khan Academy.

lol @ Death by powerpoint.

ryry1237 t1_iy43b2k wrote

Powerpoint is a fantastic tool, and unfortunately many presenters take that as an excuse to get lazy with actually making a good presentation.

NO-AVAILABLE-NAMES t1_iy5d1fa wrote

100%. It ought to be used as a tool to provide your audience with visuals and key points to bolster your speech, but too often people will just put everything they're going to say up on a slide and regurgitated back to the listeners

Banner80 t1_iy3z30x wrote

>i wanna learn stuff, but i am bad at assessing quality of information.

Lots of great universities have been trying to make their education accessible for free. Universities get paid for the credit courses - for gatekeeping quality and the prestige of the degree. So they don't mind as much letting people take the class for free when there's no credit attached.

Youtube has tons of recorded university classes available. For instance, here is a truck load of classes from MIT on their channel. You won't enjoy the benefit of a classroom with peers and access to the teacher to ask questions, but you can receive the same lectures the students get in the classroom.

Much easier than finding courses on Youtube, Coursera has tons of classes that have been contributed by universities, even top ones like Stanford and Yale. You can take most classes for free, and they ask for money if you want to receive an optional certificate at the end.

iprocrastina t1_iy4aixu wrote

There's no shortage of free, high quality college course content out there. Sometimes it's just video lectures, sometimes you get all the homework, tests, etc. too. EdX and Coursera are the big names, but MIT OCW has a lot of MIT course materials and lectures available for download (varies from only lecture notes to all materials depending on the course).

GadFlyBy t1_iy3zf4t wrote

Put on an eye-patch and snag some of the Great Courses series.

paps1788 t1_iy44fr2 wrote

Sometimes a library membership will get you access to that stuff as well

[deleted] t1_iy433jt wrote

[deleted]

deains t1_iy4lafa wrote

Christmas Lectures are done by the Royal Institution, not Gresham, but the Ri has plenty of good content to watch as well.

1714alpha t1_iy6iccq wrote

Positive regards this annual festive period, fellow sentient.

KatKat333 t1_iy3c6b0 wrote

See if anything interests you. Watch the class. Look up the subject matter and read about. Keep an open mind!

BassManns222 t1_iy3ufum wrote

I've been watching them for years and they are excellent.

sektabox t1_iy63g28 wrote

I have been watching the for a few years now. All are good though some presentation styles are not the same as others, so YMMV. I haven't come across any with shockingly great multimedia presentation, but then, these are for those who don't fall for fancy cartoons with swooshing sounds every 5 seconds.

iamsce t1_iy3g3zg wrote

Next level Ted Talks.

timmyboyoyo t1_iy50zx3 wrote

First row of theatre there is a seat reserved for Ted

simpl3t0n t1_iy3rsdm wrote

The catalogue is here; the youtube playlist is here.

DoneisDone45 t1_iy5xurw wrote

oh i thought they were classes. turns out it's one hour lectures on random topics. that's almost completely useless for learning anything. might as well watch a youtube video about said topic.

CarelessHisser t1_iy3w7yz wrote

Free education :3

Well, possibly dated free education, but any data is good data. Thank ye fer sharin kind redditor.

Edit: Nvm, a lot of their stuff is really current. Like couple months ago current. Am dumb.

BadBassist t1_iy4kruw wrote

Oh for fuck's sake. Now I find these, going back to work tomorrow after 3 weeks off.

Gaming_Gent t1_iy4gnir wrote

Are they well done, or is it like PragerU?

cgknight1 t1_iy4hffh wrote

Nothing like that - the lectures are given by serious well regarded experts.

[deleted] t1_iy4jn2u wrote

I have always loved history and devoured Vernon Bogdanors British history lectures.

Johannes_P t1_iy5tlei wrote

France has the same, with the Collège de France where scholars give lectures on their specialities, on subjects ranging from literature, classics, biology, physics and maths.

ClownfishSoup t1_iy62hrd wrote

Great if you want to actually learn stuff, but not get a diploma or degree.

melodien t1_iy7jpfd wrote

They are currently advertising for a Professor of Rhetoric. ₤8,000 annual stipend plus "reasonable expenses".

sojayn t1_iy5sfw9 wrote

Well akshully I just watched my first one yesterday about the Gordon Riots (1780’s jan 6 or arab spring or any riot against govt really)

It was interesting because it was an art history professors pov. Recommend based on one experience and weird how coincidences work idk

DeadandGonzo t1_iy3gzxa wrote

140 lectures/year doesn’t quite make a college. I deliver 42 lectures a semester (84 a year) for one course. Also, college course material cannot be effectively delivered in a single lecture to the extent to which any level of mastery can be reasonably expected.

−30

RedstripeRhapsodyHP t1_iy3in1b wrote

It's existed since 1597, and was founded by a man who has a law of economics named after him, I imagine it has been using the word 'college' long before wherever you teach existed. It doesn't claim to endow mastery - most college courses and lectures do not - but material delivered by the likes of John Bercow or John Guy today or Christopher Wren in the past is doubtlessly of use to anyone interested in a given topic.

cgknight1 t1_iy3qwii wrote

But it doesn't have courses so the amount you deliver on your courses is neither here or there. It also doesn't claim to support any specific learning path towards "mastery" - simply that it provides lectures at (UK) level 4 and above.

GonzoVeritas t1_iy3r3dw wrote

They don't expect mastery of subjects, and they don't issue degrees. It's the OG TED Talk.

[deleted] t1_iy3i526 wrote

But if my fake diploma says it's from Gresham College, London... that sounds pretty fancy.

one_is_enough t1_iy4jmt5 wrote

For someone who delivers lectures, your reading comprehension seems a little patchy.

Or maybe you are just knee-jerk defensive about an organization dispensing knowledge for free since that’s your livelihood?