Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MrchntMariner86 t1_iwf5029 wrote

We still got supplies ("stores") in that time--port vendors usually have a test done (when available) to deliver supplies, but for the most part, you just use your stores crane to lift supplies aboard and just send the paperwork back and further via a bucket on a string--no need to go up and down the gangway and get close.

Terpnato t1_iwf7n43 wrote

What did you do for entertainment?

Matigas_na_Saging t1_iwg2jat wrote

Not that guy but some ships have access to Satellite internet, usually 15$ per Gigabyte of data. Reasonable enough speed and it's guaranteed internet access except for a few "dead zones" that I presume satellites can't reach. So they could still surf the net and be entertained.

Smart ship captains are aware of the importance of keeping the spirits of the crew high, so during resupply they usually order an increased amount of stores so they could throw parties and make the crew feel a lot less isolated. Also karaoke + booze keeps the old sea dogs happy, at least in my observations.

MrchntMariner86 t1_iwiwhgb wrote

Most American ships have crew internet at no extra charge, but I do know a defunct comoany that started to charge their crew (before the company went belly up)

Also, US fleet is dry, thanks to the Exxon Valdez and its relevant legislation, OPA 90.

MrchntMariner86 t1_iwiw979 wrote

"Work and jerk (off)" jk

Pretty much 98% of US fleet has Internet/Wi-Fi. I honestly haven't met a company without Wi-Fi, although a lot of Inland boats or Offshore supply boats are usually in cell range anyway.

Deepsea ships, though, we have some exercise equipment, small book libraries as well as digital media libraries.

But for the most part, provide your own entertainment. For years before the switch, Id bring my GBA/DS and my laptop. Nowadays, PLENTY of guys have their own HardDrives to share movies with if the ship doesn't already have a central server to copy off of. Yarrrr.