Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

letrestoriginality t1_ixttoli wrote

Fire on board is the biggest danger for a plane. People WILL smoke and airlines can't risk people starting a fire.

brazzy42 t1_ixtx1p6 wrote

In fact, back when smoking was allowed, minor fires started by cigarettes (often in trash cans) were so common that anything looking like that was not considered a very serious concern.

This led to the disaster of Air Canada flight 797, where an electrical fire near a toilet was mistaken for such a case, leading to a delayed response and a late emergency landing, the cabin already filled with smoke, so that 23 people died even though the plane had landed safely.

letrestoriginality t1_ixtxdg7 wrote

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that one, I'll be going down that rabbit hole today.

Frosty_404 t1_ixxm37p wrote

What kind of a cunt smokes on an airplane.

skydiver1958 t1_iy1amrj wrote

We did back in the 80's. There were smoking seats at the back. Thing is I got one first row back of non smoking. I lit up but soon realized dude in front was non smoker.I put it out and never smoked on a plane again out of respect. Of course it was banned shortly after but you are right. What cunt smokes on a plane? I will go without a smoke before ever jeopardizing a plane.. Some are cunts tho.