Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ManInBlack829 t1_j24dlbm wrote

I have a theory that the best way to get famous is to know famous people, and this kind of strengthens that.

It's really hard to get picked out a crowd and put on stage, it's much easier with backstage passes.

AudibleNod t1_j24eb08 wrote

Most of the entertainment industry is run through who you know. Few people actually rise out of no where. Some do, to be fair. But it's a fairly good ol'boy, nepotistic, favor trading crowd. Even the nice ones.

Charmshity t1_j24fpzm wrote

Much of life in general is. It's not about what you know, it's about who you know

ericisshort t1_j24jaq7 wrote

And it happens mostly because people are lazy. It’s much easier to hire their old buddy who they know “can do the job well” rather than go through a long selection process to find the absolute best person available.

Seattlepowderhound t1_j24rq1h wrote

I agree with you but it goes even further right? Not only is your ole buddy going to do the job "well enough" but he's also not going to actively screw you, steal or fuck you over. The risk reward equation doesn't work out most of the time. Obviously there are exception, and sometimes that ole buddy isn't a good guy but you catch my drift.

dirice87 t1_j26le80 wrote

You see this with all jobs. People can be real angels in interviews then by week 3 they are stealing, not coming into work, don’t actually have the skills, bad attitude, sexually assault coworkers

That’s why it’s insane companies don’t give raises to current, strong employees, and are ok with letting them leave. Bird in hand is worth two in the bush

venustrapsflies t1_j25hll1 wrote

For many/most jobs it’s also basically impossible to find out how well someone can actually do a job, or even know if they’re not going to be a total disaster, without actually hiring them. That’s because you really have to work with and build a relationship with someone to know how well they’ll work with you. If you know some guy and you know he doesn’t completely suck, it’s a safer bet.

rabidjellybean t1_j25z54d wrote

My team interviewed a guy who did ok so we hired him. We didn't need anyone perfect. Turned out he had zero initiative and avoided all of the training resources we had that he had two months to go through. I guess he figured we'd hold his hand through every little thing. You can't interview someone to find an issue like that. We fired him.

Hiring someone you know can deliver is huge.

juh4z t1_j26k0aj wrote

Exactly, people are insanely quick to go to this "woe is me" narrative instead of stopping and thinking about the logic of why things work the way they do. Just because someone was hired because they had some sort of connection in the industry/company doesn't just means nepotism, you know someone then you know how good they are at doing what they do, obviously you wanna hire them then.

oxbaker t1_j25itce wrote

It’s not about who you know, it’s about who knows you

zoobrix t1_j260ona wrote

And that "who you know" doesn't even mean that person has to be some heavyweight in the industry. There are lots of stories of actors who made it because they had family or friends that worked on lighting, set design, as production assistants and so on and that was enough to get them the audition that gave them their break. Sure they still had to earn the role but without that connection they probably don't even get in front of the people who make the casting decisions.

ordeith t1_j28b890 wrote

When you check the new indie artist on Wikipedia and their parents and grandparents all have their own articles.

ColonelKasteen t1_j256xg7 wrote

You have that theory? Is that not kind of... an incredibly common and widespread belief? Kind of like Peggy Hill saying, "the day before Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, the busiest travel day of the year."

tetoffens t1_j24j8ch wrote

While right in general, not really the case here. Keanu couldn't even make his own band famous or get a big label to sign them. Opening for Dogstar isn't really that big of a deal, hence why a band was able to do it in their first show. Bands established in the music scene were not opening for Dogstar. No one was bragging about being billed alongside Dogstar. Playing with Dogstar didn't mean you were connected or knew Keanu. They were not a big deal that bands were fighting to be billed with.

Weezer weren't signed until later and it was based off a demo that is really fucking good. They signed to a record label much bigger than any Dogstar was ever on based on the strength of that.

Vote_for_Knife_Party t1_j25kdue wrote

Yeah, I think people are forgetting that Keanu wasn't always the Internet's Perfect Golden Man. Dogstar-era Keanu was many, many years away from the height of his prestige.

CogitoErgoScum t1_j24q8eh wrote

It doesn’t hurt when Ric Okasec’s wife vouches for you and Rick produces your debut album.

jbazildo t1_j24z1rk wrote

Nada surf has a really similar back story with the then Okasec's..

CogitoErgoScum t1_j26ip5u wrote

The Rentals wrote a whole song about Paulina Porizkova. One of three artists to do so.

jbazildo t1_j28k42l wrote

Wait, is she P?

CogitoErgoScum t1_j28s94a wrote

dingdingding!

jbazildo t1_j28x9ui wrote

Nice. Good tune, that was a good album. Definitely triggering some repressed moog memories this am, so thanks

excessive_brutality t1_j24fmjf wrote

> the best way to get famous is to know famous people

you're leaving out an important step: the famous people you know have to actually like you. no one likes a name-dropping parasite, especially famous people

DigitalTraveler42 t1_j24jkxe wrote

To be fair (cue Letterkenny fans), Keanu would probably put anybody on if they just asked him nicely, he seems like that kind of dude.

megapuffranger t1_j25qkag wrote

That’s not really a theory so much as just common knowledge. It’s pretty rare to make it in the business without already having connections or just pure nepotism.