Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

czarchastic t1_j1eeoek wrote

Yeah maybe they would set a predetermined time in the future after signing the agreement to account for communication lag. And maybe frontline soldiers aren’t divulged of every detail from their commanding officer beyond when to hold or charge a line.

−1

how-puhqueliar t1_j1eew85 wrote

if only we could read more about this exact incident or world war i generally

czarchastic t1_j1efcfh wrote

Well since you know so much, explain why soldiers were kept in formation for 5 hours after the armistice was signed?

how-puhqueliar t1_j1egaf3 wrote

cos the french command didn't want the ceasefire and refused to sign any armistice initially, it was pretty precarious

good thing the whole 'eleven eleven eleven' mantra was so catchy that everyone knew exactly when to end hostilities

czarchastic t1_j1egjm6 wrote

No, that accounted for the 5 weeks leading up to the signing. Try again.

how-puhqueliar t1_j1egq97 wrote

what was the answer you were looking for, professor? want me to just paraphrase the text of the wikipedia or is that too rote?

czarchastic t1_j1ehia9 wrote

It’s so withdrawing troops doesn’t get misconstrued as a tactical retreat. It’s important to, you know, give it time to unwind a frontline to avoid unnecessary casualties.

But again, not everyone knew about the armistice at the same time, and I’m giving the benefit of the doubt that maybe not every frontline soldier was notified in advance.