Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

al666in OP t1_izfgj1w wrote

It was a 2 hour youtube lecture that I can't seem to find again, a non-theological Bible Study thing that was exploring the concept of the "Cosmic Devil," the folklore version of a Lucifer-figure that just doesn't actually show up anywhere in the Bible.

Unfortunately, searching youtube for variations on "Cosmic Devil lecture" just serves up a bunch of bonkers conspiracy pages.

RandoCalrissian11 t1_izfmbsw wrote

I believe it’s Greek, at least Tartarus is. Of all things, I heard it on the Casual Criminalist podcast/YouTube today in the Axe Man Murder episode.

al666in OP t1_izfn6aj wrote

Shoel is the Jewish underworld, Hades is the Greek Underworld, Tartarus is the Greek Cosmic Prison for spirits (I think it's Titans in the original myth, the Bible references it as a prison for naughty angels), and Gehenna is a literal burning trash-pit outside of Jerusalem, where unwanted corpses were tossed, and human sacrifices and cult activity was notorious. 90% of the Jesus quotes about "burning in Hell" are referencing the trash pit, but "the worm never hungers in Gehenna" just doesn't have the same punch when you're trying to scare the sin out of people.