Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

clydefrog811 t1_j45zdhm wrote

How did they have time to tour with 7 studio albums in 4 years? Or did they not tour?

ty_kanye_vcool t1_j46cp8q wrote

For a major band in the 60s, this wasn’t all that uncommon a release schedule. The Beatles were doing two albums a year until they quit touring. Hell, over the same five-year period as CCR, the Supremes recorded fifteen studio albums. They really beat the hell out of successful acts when they could back then.

TheMauveHand t1_j46eo3r wrote

Did the Supremes also write all that music, or just record it?

ty_kanye_vcool t1_j46evla wrote

The Motown in-house writers would have written most of it that wasn’t covers.

roman_maverik t1_j470stv wrote

It should be noted that cover songs were much more relevant in the 60s. Lots of rock bands, even bands like the Beatles and Stones, covered a lot of blues songs in their early days.

The first CCR album was like 60% cover songs, which really wasn’t unusual for the time.

HazelFrederick t1_j47a40x wrote

Berry Gordy and Phil Spector would flog the same song over and over and over again until they didn’t think it could be profitable anymore.

daveashaw t1_j47e65f wrote

The Holland-Dozier-Holland team at Motown cranked out virtually all of the Supremes' catalog.

HazelFrederick t1_j462jns wrote

John Fogerty and producer Saul Zaentz had a terrible but terribly productive relationship.

typhoidtimmy t1_j47q2nd wrote

Fogerty’s output was tremendous during his first tour….and probably helped break up CCR in some ways.

Supposedly, John had a thing where he kept wanting to make songs and keep on because he thought they were going to fall off the map if they weren’t producing songs. The rest of CCR wanted breaks and the ability to stretch a bit…but John kept them going.

Zaentz, being the greedy piece of shit he was, never told John it was ok to stop and smell the roses and instead fueled this fear. And because of his contract with CCR, raked in bucketloads of cash on their backs over the normal cut that was expected.

Man, if I could go back in time, I think I would have made CCR consult with a entertainment lawyer before signing anything. Or at least try get John Fogerty to not believe his paranoia of losing fans.

daveashaw t1_j47etym wrote

Their recording setup was basic--it just wasn't a lot of studio time for them to bang out enough songs to make an album. Production and post-production were pretty minimal.

attackcow94 t1_j481p69 wrote

May I interest you in a little band called King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard? These madlads have produced 23 studio albums since 2011, five in 2017 and another five in 2022, three of which dropped in a single month. I have no idea how they do it.

SuitableObligation85 t1_j48y1yg wrote

If you think that’s impressive go check out Bucketheads body of work.

Such_Personality3690 t1_j4cbks9 wrote

There was just a TIL recently on Buckhead, an amazing an artist seen him many times live. Lookin forward to see KGLW at Bonaroo. i do love CCR so many childhood memories there music brings back from the 70's