Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

omganesh t1_j47brr4 wrote

I'm sure you're right. It's just my personal gut feeling, it doesn't have meaning for anyone but me, probably.

That said, a bunch of white boys from the Bay Area don't get to claim they're not fortunate sons. Just saying.

−6

mtcwby t1_j47kkqs wrote

The bay area was a blue collar place back then. Fremont was a GM plant town. Lots of assembly line workers and remember the Raiders were all about being blue collar. Don't confuse it with the tech bay area now.

typhoidtimmy t1_j47nfqe wrote

The lyrics of Fortunate Son are directly related to Fogerty’s own experiences with the draft and seeing a tons of common folk going to war.

In his autobiography he explained Julie Nixon was dating David Eisenhower. You’d hear about the son of this senator or this congressman who was given deferment or choice positions in the military away from fighting.

They seemed privileged and whether they liked it or not, they were symbols in the sense that they weren’t being touched by what their parents were pushing on the rest of us.

Mind you, John Fogarty was drafted into military service in 1966. He avoided going to Vietnam by going down to the Army Reserve recruiter who signed him up immediately and dated it before the draft notice. He still served out 3 years and apparently was terrified of being drummed into actually having to go to Vietnam until he was discharged in 68.