Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

EchoVast t1_j6ik7ng wrote

People today underestimate how much profanity was in use in daily life back then, partly because of how the times are depicted/glorified.

WantToBeACyborg t1_j6ilrnw wrote

Plus, there were words and phrases they used that were considered course but lost their original meaning/punch over time.

basaltgranite t1_j6initm wrote

It's an ongoing process. For example, "fuck" once had an impact. Now it's a routine vocabulary word. It happens the other way around too. "Piss" was once the normal word for urination. When "piss" became crude, it was euphemized to "pee."

Edit: Another example: In medieval England, "cunt" was tame enough to officially name a street where prostitutes plied their trade "gropecunt lane." Most (not all) of them have been renamed.

AnalogNightsFM t1_j6j10x4 wrote

First known reference in English apparently is in a compound, Oxford street name Gropecuntlane cited from c. 1230 (and attested through late 14c.) in "Place-Names of Oxfordshire" (Gelling & Stenton, 1953), presumably a haunt of prostitutes. Used in medical writing c. 1400, but avoided in public speech since 15c.; considered obscene since 17c.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/cunt

PragmaticIdealism t1_j6kxsk0 wrote

I was of the understanding fuck was quite common in medieval England and became more of a swear over time? Something about birds being called windfuckers?

Lotharofthepotatoppl t1_j6l8lms wrote

IIRC there was a fight on the floor of congress (used to be very common) that started when one guy called the other a rascal. Naughty, rascal, etc used to be fighting words but now they’re completely inoffensive lol

An_Awesome_Name t1_j6jsozl wrote

That’s the case with basically anything these days too. I work in engineering and watching my company’s promotional and marketing department do their thing, you would think we are all upstanding professionals with a perfectly clean mouth.

That’s what gets recorded and remembered, not my co-worker and I going on about how another department fucked us.

LittleGreenSoldier t1_j6ja49y wrote

The phrase itself is much, much older, even appearing in Shakespeare. King Lear, Act 2 scene 2.

ksdkjlf t1_j6jwdob wrote

First usage in American literature, but the phrase is much older. Billy Shakes used a florid variant in King Lear in 1608: "One that..art nothing but the composition of a knaue, begger, coward, pander, and the sonne and heire of a mungrell bitch."

WilliamofYellow t1_j6koa96 wrote

The OED also offers this quotation from a legal document of 1655:

>Damaris Dry..to answere Richard Carter Headborough..yt she did..reuile him..Calling him ye sonn of a Bitch, asking him also where ye Bawd his mother was.

Greene_Mr t1_j6kwedy wrote

Holy shit, she called his mother a "Bawd"? :-O

WilliamofYellow t1_j6kx2ia wrote

And he was a headborough, the 17th century equivalent of a cop. I imagine things didn't end well for Damaris Dry.

TupeloSal t1_j6iia6l wrote

Well I’ll be a….

SpottedSharks2022 t1_j6jv5rx wrote

John Ordway noted in 1805-06 in his journal that the Native Americans the Corps of Discovery wintered near knew lots of English phrases, including S.O.B. They picked the phrases up from English merchant trading vessels.

Yoguls t1_j6ir0ys wrote

John Neal. The Quentin Tarrantino of his time

vthings t1_j6kf800 wrote

Never heard of John Neal and reading his wiki entry seems like a pretty awesome guy. Way ahead of his time on many issues. I think I'll give his books a read.

Greene_Mr t1_j6kwhls wrote

Somebody keeps putting up article links to him on the front page of Wikipedia every few months.

leodavidci t1_j6ouv6i wrote

I’m sure I read that the language used in the tv show Deadwood used more modern swear words on purpose , rather than the more religious swear words people back then would have used. This religious swearing would feel very tame to us these days, so they used modern phrases to give an idea of what it felt like to hear it.

Algae_Sucka t1_j6kqihk wrote

I am mad scientist. It so cool! sonuvabitch

mrcydonia t1_j6lkp1y wrote

The first use of "son of a bitch" on American TV was the MASH episode "Guerilla My Dreams" in 1979.

xilix2 t1_j6lsgq5 wrote

Example of the phrase used in early cartoons.