Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

marmorset OP t1_j6i6hyp wrote

The Comanche people are properly called the "Nʉmʉnʉʉ," translated as "The Human Beings" or "The People." The Ute Indians introduced to the Spanish to the Nʉmʉnʉʉ calling them "kɨmantsi," which the Spanish wrote as Comanche. Kɨmantsi means "Enemy." Nʉmʉnʉʉ is pronounced "nuh-MUH-nuh."

Isatai'i led the Nʉmʉnʉʉ and some allies, a group estimated to be around 1,000 warriors against twenty-eight men and one woman armed with long-range hunting rifles who were staying in a small adobe building. A scout and hunter, Billy Dixon, killed a Comanche warrior from 1,500 yards away, one of the longest recorded sniper shots. Realizing they were vulnerable at such a distance broke the spirit of the attacking Native Americans. Dixon is one of eight civilians awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

IJacoby t1_j6j8d8j wrote

Second Battle of Adobe Walls. Dixon iirc said that it was just a pot shot. Kinda lofted one up there with the sharps rifle and got real lucky. Still a cool story.

Windy_Sails t1_j6lml1d wrote

Its great how many indigenous names for their own group translate to "people" or "the people". Comes with this implicit meaning that those other groups they're neighbors with are not "people".

"Hey what do you call your tribe?" "People" "And this other tribe we've encountered?" "Not people, enemies."

You end up with a sort of back and forth where tribes who were friendly with colonizers and explorers get to be called "People" and the ones who weren't are recorded for all time as "Assholes".

marmorset OP t1_j6lr1o9 wrote

Yes, absolutely. People argue that's not what it means, but if you're calling yourselves "People" or "Human Beings," then everyone else are not "People" or "Human Beings" and that's that.

tanfj t1_j6ohp0i wrote

Yes and we humans named our species " Wise Men"

A better name would have been Pan Narrans, "Storytelling Ape".