Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

marmorset OP t1_j31yig6 wrote

I didn't learn it today, I wrote about it today. I had read about Hale a while ago, I think when I took my family to New England. Last night I happened to see something that reminded me of the story so I found a link and posted it this morning.

Sawyer claimed the story as her own and tried to make a living off of it, selling wool and memorabilia. Sometime after her death Thomas Edison got involved. He'd heard the poem and they were the first words recorded on phonograph. Years later he had a book published supporting Sawyer's unfounded claims.

swazal t1_j324n2j wrote

Did you find out anything about her faith? Surprisingly it is not obvious. Quaker?

−2

marmorset OP t1_j32apb8 wrote

Though she often wrote about religion and morality there's no information about specific religion. Her father's side of the family was from Wales and they appear to have been Baptists, but I couldn't find anything about her mother's side. I suspect if she had been a Quaker that would have been mentioned.

krectus t1_j33ck8u wrote

This sub is for things you just learned about today. Not something you’re quite knowledgeable on for awhile.

−10