Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Bewaretheicespiders t1_j442mxd wrote

But it still needs to reach a full 75c temperature to be safe to eat, like other poultry and unlike beef.

edit: Let me dumb it down: Duck has the same safety requirement and risks as other poultry when it comes to cooking temperatures.

−20

gearpitch t1_j44hef4 wrote

75c isn't even true for other poultry. That's just the temp that bacteria all die instantly. If you hold a lower temperature longer it still is safe. For example, white chicken meat should be held at 65c for three minutes to be juicy and safe, or 63c for 8.5 minutes, or 68c for 1 minute. It's why chicken and Turkey are often seen as dry and tough, because the thermometer said 75c, the meat was pulled out to rest and the internal temp kept rising for a few minutes after.

RobertoHAHA t1_j44pyun wrote

I love you for explaining this. This is the number 1 cooking tip I give people.

goldef t1_j44y21a wrote

This is why I love sous vide. I cook chicken at 145F for 3 hours and it's tender and moist.

rivetcityransom t1_j447m22 wrote

Possibly, but you'll have a well-done duck if you go to that temp. All the ducks that I eat are wild and don't have the same salmonella concerns that domestic poultry has so I'm totally comfortable eating them rare.

danteheehaw t1_j45x1ad wrote

Pretty much every bird has salmonella. It's part of their normal flora. It's the butchering process that contaminates the meat. Good thing about wild duck is usually its not flying through a dessembly line of employees who really don't give a fuck.

boblinquist t1_j44iw0a wrote

Exactly, as long as you have good quality fresh produce you shouldn’t have to worry about keeping to such standards.