Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sickciety t1_j60h56y wrote

Maybe you should do it. Since it's so easy and your the first one to see a viable option to increase supply with waste products . Its not like there arent actual chemist, biologists and genetic engineers who also want to increase supply and provide a viable cheaper option who are actively sued or stopped from doing so . But we dont live in a free market . If it were a free market we would have 1$ insulin like india . You don't have to explain economics to me , im a libertarian and quite well understand we dont live in a perfect capitalist society . But I think human health and life are more important than Lilly's profit margin .

Honestly were just arguing over something neither of us could actually help to solve the issue.

My issue is with the patenting of life and the overpriced medication that is a lifeline for diabetics . When your life depends on a medication they can charge whatever they want and you will pay it . Thats not economics , thats not fair market pricing .... thats just sick!

blatantninja t1_j60z94s wrote

Of course neither of us are going to do it. Neither of us have the capital or expertise. That's irrelevant to the point of their existing other avenues.

> If it were a free market we would have 1$ insulin like india .

No we wouldn't. Insulin is cheaper (but it isn't $1) in India for several reasons, one of which is that the government purchases large amounts of it at bulk prices and gives it away for free. That's not even close to a free market.

>You don't have to explain economics to me , im a libertarian and quite well understand we dont live in a perfect capitalist society . But I think human health and life are more important than Lilly's profit margin .

Those two statements are a huge contradiction. No real libertarian would say that. A libertarian would say "let the market decide" and leave it at that.

Ultimately, your problem is that our healthcare system, top to bottom, is messed up, but a free market won't solve that.

sickciety t1_j61b5ll wrote

I disagree with you . But that's completely fine

Its been interesting debating back and forth with ya . Have a great night