Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Optimized_Orangutan t1_j6y53fa wrote

Kingdom folks: "it's just another weekend". Seriously it's NEK Vermont... Some -40 wind-chill for a day or two is cold but not brace yourself for end times cold. It's not Texas or the Champlain valley. We're good.

CTdadof5 t1_j6ykjc2 wrote

It’s not the Champlain Valley. LMFAO. I knew there would be nuggets of gold in these comments.

Stronkowski t1_j6zg9dk wrote

I grew up in the NEK and then went to UVM. All the freshmen there were whining about the weather and meanwhile I'm thinking "I just got off the phone with my parents and it's 10 degrees warmer here".

Twombls t1_j6z06ia wrote

Air temp low is around -23 for st j which is pretty dang cold

Optimized_Orangutan t1_j6z0o57 wrote

Not for st. J. Not entirely rare to spend an entire month bouncing between -10 and -20 in the NEK. It's pretty standard weather. Just extra warm this year.

−3

curiousguy292 t1_j6zj1sw wrote

Umm… the average low temp for St J. in January is 9 degrees. For the same month in BTV is 11.8

A month below -10 would be among the coldest months in recorded weather history.

Twombls t1_j7006wo wrote

Nah nah. You didn't know? St j is surrounded by a magnetic vortex that makes it about as cold as fairbanks Alaska. Just not the weather station. Thats placed outside of the vortex.

Definitelynotcal1gul t1_j731jot wrote

It's really incredible the amount of people this week who think they are absolutely sure they know precisely the high low and average temps in their city. Each one is absolutely wrong too.

Twombls t1_j6z9q0b wrote

Not with the winds we are getting Friday though. Its actually looking like its going to be pretty impressive for new england tomorrow. Mt Washington is looking set to take the crown from alaska for all time low wind chill in the USA

TheGoldenMinion t1_j706t71 wrote

LMFAO “It’s not Texas or the Champlain valley.” I live in Essex so I guess I’m not one to talk but it was just funny asf

Left-Link5070 t1_j71qcju wrote

I grew up in NEK but moved to Burlington a few tears ago. This comment is fricken awesome.

People in Minnesota are looking at Vermonters the same way we look at North Carolinians whenever there is a dusting of snow.

Left-Link5070 t1_j71p5gr wrote

Too funny. In 4 years at the academy, we had literally zero snow days. All the other schools in town would close, but not us. F you headmaster Mayo!

Optimized_Orangutan t1_j71ptm1 wrote

My sophomore year at the Academy we got the first snow day since 1986. Two buses had to go off the road for them to partially close for the day. Those in the dorms and within walking distance were still expected to be in chapel at 8am.

CorrectFall6257 t1_j702ziw wrote

Lmfao! Exactly we already had cold af days and nights. I'm already acclimated and going snowmobiling!

mister_record OP t1_j6y578a wrote

NSS.

−16

SomeConstructionGuy t1_j6yh71l wrote

If it’s that obvious then why’d ya post it?

Optimized_Orangutan t1_j6ykbiu wrote

Right? What ever happened to Vermonters being stoic about the weather? Everyone runs on here everytime it's not room temperature and dry out to try and grab cheap internet points from the rest of the transplants I guess. Used to be we laughed at people getting this worked up about a little weather.

Outrageous-Outside61 t1_j6yzlf6 wrote

I’m still laughing, also IMO the constant reporting of wind chill instead of temperature is just sensational journalism. Like sure, there’s a windchill when you’re standing in the middle of the field, but get in the woods or alongside a building and there isn’t.

Twombls t1_j6zzzbx wrote

Wind chill is a measurement of about how quickly the weather will kill you. It kinda matters a bit. We've never quite gotten a day in vt this cold while simultaneously having this high wind. Its definitely anomalous weather.

Most ski areas have elected to shut down for example. With winds of 50mph the woods dont really protect you

Outrageous-Outside61 t1_j7055f8 wrote

Based on what, how many clothes your wearing? Your BMI? Hydration level?

I’ll be outside working all day tomorrow, I’ll let ya know how I survive. Honestly this isn’t anything spectacular. Yes windchill can matter, but I’d much rather see the actual temperatures, sustained wind speed and gusts speeds than a map showing windchill.

−3

Twombls t1_j705m4a wrote

Its based on a calculation of wind speed to air temperature. I find it pretty fucking useful as someone that spends time outside in the winter as a quick reference

https://www.weather.gov/safety/cold-wind-chill-chart

Twombls t1_j707z37 wrote

I mean yeah those articles state the obvious fact that -30 windchill /= -30 weather. It doesn't work great as an exact number. However when temperatures get into extreme lows and you add wind in obviously chances of frostbite and shit are higher.

Theres a reason why ski areas like jay are closing. They normally don't close in -20 weather. its normally cold af up there. But also -20 days here are usually still. Tomorrow is going to be insanely windy and they decided to preemptively close. Im sure they used a more scientific metric than wind chill to gauge the closing. But its much easier to say "hey -40 wind chill tomorrow we wont open"

Outrageous-Outside61 t1_j708u48 wrote

Dude they’re closing because of the wind gust speeds. They would be closing if it was 20 degrees out tomorrow.

You went from saying windchill is important because it’s a metric of how quickly the weather would kill you (not at all true btw), to saying it’s just an easier way to say it’s gonna be colder than a witch’s tit. It’s okay to admit your wrong.