Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kn4v3VT t1_j9vbj2g wrote

Also most generators do not put out anything close to utility grade power quality- this can wreak havoc on the cars internal AC to DC inverters. If you read the manual of any EV (which I highly recommend since it’s essentially a whole new technology that cannot be compared to internal combustion) they’ll tell you never to do that. I cringe (as someone with some electrical engineering chops) when I see folks on youtube do that shit to their $60k brand new EVs - which is why I’ll never buy a used one

Sea-Election-9168 t1_j9vc4uh wrote

Wow, prime consideration! I forgot about how “dirty” power is from a standard generator. Suppose I could get an inverter style with clean power

kn4v3VT t1_j9vdqd7 wrote

It’s really not worth it because these cars hold huge amounts of electricity and even the best gas generators are hugely inefficient at converting the stored chemical-energy in gasoline to kilowatts- most of the energy is converted to heat and wasted. If this car is legitimately out of charge it was 💯driver stupidity and should be treated the same as someone who purposely drives around with their gas light on and then acts surprised when they’re stranded. This situation is super easy to avoid in a Tesla - if this was a Nissan leaf I say similar thing but have a bit more empathy for the car owner (they’d still be considered stupid in my mind but for other reasons). So this is either staged or some rich stupid asshole trying to get attention.

Teslas attract a ton of negative attention because they legitimately pose a threat to Gas cars and make a ton of financial sense from a total cost of ownership perspective. They’re super nice cars and have a great charging network that makes them super practical if you can afford one. You dont sacrifice anything really with a Tesla. These days especially Elon Lightning’s that attention away for being a dipshit, but lots of people still buy them and do stupid shit all the time because they can get attention if they do something stupid in a Tesla. All the gas-bros and petromasculine folks love to feed that attention. this thread is a prime example.

Sea-Election-9168 t1_j9veup6 wrote

Any chance we will see a small 4wd electric pickup before too long?

kn4v3VT t1_j9vfwb5 wrote

there are Tons of them in the works. and the more demand the market sees for them the more they'll respond, although it might be a while before the pricing starts to fall. that being said, even the Rivian R1T it out and its pricing is similar to premium pickup (74,800) - my buddy has a mid sized GMC that cost more than that.

For any non-tesla vehicle, because our government is in the pocket of Oil, they're not worth it because you cant reliably road trip with them. If we had a common charging standard that was federally enforced, i'd say we're on track - but charging is a hot mess around the country for everything that not tesla