Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HappilyhiketheHump t1_j732xfg wrote

Well, the best public schools in Vermont have a <45% proficiency rate and a >90% graduation rate at the third greatest cost per student in the nation.

There clearly is some room for improvement here.

Why would anyone blame a parent that wants a voucher (currently available in sending towns and reciprocal districts) for an alternative to a public school that isn’t a fit for their child?

−4

SomeConstructionGuy t1_j73ci6l wrote

It’s not reasonable to blame each individual parent for wanting what’s best for their child. It is reasonable to expect parents who choose to skip the publicly funded option to pay for the private school themselves.

Public education only works if we all have a vested interest in its continued success. Vouchers help undermine the idea that we all in it together and therefor undermine the public education system for the benefit of a few.

If you want your kids to not go to public school that’s great. Pony up the cash.

HappilyhiketheHump t1_j73l753 wrote

And in towns that don’t provide schools? What do you suggest those parents do?

Vouchers have been used in Vermont for decades with no damage to the public schools or the children who use them.

Stop believing the NEA hype that the voucher system is gonna suddenly destroy our public school system.

SomeConstructionGuy t1_j73pse7 wrote

I grew up in one of those towns. They should continue to offer vouchers to surrounding PUBLIC schools. Same as they always have.

I don’t think it’ll instantly destroy education. In fact I think it’s worse because it’ll slowly drive rich high achieving kids out of public schools. Those schools will then stop offering higher lever curriculums which hurts average kids who aren’t rich.

Notice I said rich high achieving? A voucher only covers part of private tuition so parents still need to make up the rest. You have to be at least extremely comfortable to pony up the extra 10k per kid to send them to a private school.

HappilyhiketheHump t1_j73y0rz wrote

Many private schools in Vermont cost less per year than the average amount spent on a per student basis in Vermont. Some cost more.

I think we can agree that those who send their kid overseas on a voucher should be curtailed.

Most who send their kid to a school (private or public) on a voucher are not rich. They may be privileged as they live in Vermont, but most aren’t rich.

SomeConstructionGuy t1_j73yq52 wrote

Mind if i ask what school? Mine (a small charter school) was in the same boat until enrollment dropped and they had to go full public. I was firmly pro school choice based on my experience and I still am for schools that have no high school.

However I now think the potential negative consequences of sending public money to private institutions far outweigh the potential benefits. It should be limited to schools that have open enrollment.

Successful_Order_638 t1_j74nba9 wrote

"Why would anyone blame a parent that wants a voucher (currently available in sending towns and reciprocal districts) for an alternative to a public school that isn’t a fit for their child?"

Because I don't want to pay for some stranger's kid to attend a religious school any more than religious people want to see their tax money going to support things they morally oppose.

chickens6 t1_j742ri3 wrote

Mainly because tuition is only available in certain towns. If you want to give every Vermont school kid $17K off their Swiss boarding school, that's great. But right now certain towns get vouchers and school choice, other only have public school as an option.