Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Nauticalknots t1_j7m2qxe wrote

Sounds like they are doing what they want with their property. Vermont’s not its own country. The real STR issue is with investors/corps buying up 20 homes or whatever just to pad their accounts.

They are having their friends come up and camp? What happened to live and let live? And ffs they got a wastewater permit the right way and probably paid 40k for a mound so their little tiny house and family camp outs won’t pollute your neighborhood’s wells.

Way more “natives” than you would ever like to admit have an ADU that they air bnb, that they could rent to a local long term if they wanted to...

Hate the big greedy corporation. But lay off the guy who has his friends and co workers up for camp outs. That’s just whining.

Jerry_Williams69 t1_j7mgis6 wrote

To be fair, having the yard next door turn into a concert venue would be horrible

LarvalCraze t1_j7miwmz wrote

Or amazing

Jerry_Williams69 t1_j7mvio1 wrote

If you both share the same music tastes. Living next door to a place with hick-hop concerts every weekend is actually a ring of hell.

Commercial_Case_7475 OP t1_j7n1ozv wrote

I can understand how it may sound in my post, but this situation is definitely not as benign as your comment would portray. Yes, the get togethers with ATVs blaring sirens and music till midnight do get annoying when you have kids and animals that need a decent rest, but it's the further development of the property directly adjacent to me that has me concerned. If it were not for the allure of non-residents to "cash in" on their slice of Vermont with Airbnb's, no way he'd be putting up an ADU right next to where my kids play outside.

Besides, this is more of an issue of people importing their attitude toward neighbors from shitty places where people just step all over each other to get their cake. I also have a spot that I could eventually develop into an Airbnb, but I have ruled this out already because it's right next to my neighbors house, and I actually have respect for their space and privacy. That's the thing about Vermont, we function without as much regulation as other states because we respect each others right to live undisturbed and in our own space, and are content to live off our land.

Reminds me of an Ethan Allen quote "The gods of the hills are not the gods of the valley".

hudsoncider t1_j7n3a9v wrote

You have 10 acres and there isn’t another place on your land that wouldn’t be right up next to your neighbors that you could place an ADU?

Commercial_Case_7475 OP t1_j7n5eqj wrote

Not that would be easy to run utilities or construct a driveway

hudsoncider t1_j7ozm21 wrote

So then doesn’t the same principle apply to the neighbor building an ADU near your property? I’m not saying I don’t feel for you but that may be the reason for their chosen location too.

random_vermonter t1_j7msk16 wrote

Do you happen to be on a selectboard and own a STR(s)?

−1

Nauticalknots t1_j7owat2 wrote

Nope, I work in the trades with a good look at who and how people are building ADUs... and it’s made me realize these last couple years, there’s no certain group building them. In fact I see regular Vermonters building them for air bnb more than any other outside group.

And no. I don’t own a str. Or a even a house. I rent an ADU from a wealthy second homeowner though. He’s a really good guy, too. I judge him based on who he is as a person, not on his nice car with a yellow license plate or the fact he owns a vacation home that he only spends 5 or 6 months at. And if he told me next year he wants to make my place an Airbnb because it’s a better investment for him, then I wouldn’t think he’s less of a good person, because that’s not what makes a person decent or not, or good for the world.. I don’t need a handout or for someone to compromise their own opportunities...for me? I can put one foot in front of the other and work through my own challenges in life. I lost my last rental to becoming an Airbnb, and that was a multigenerational Vermonter whose dad built the house who sent me packing. He was a good guy too. No judgement, we all do what we need to do.

I’ll say it again. Hate the investment company that bought five handfuls of houses during the rush. Not the guy building a tiny house that will be occupied by some str / his kids and their friends... Not my landlord who buys a million dollar piece of land and builds a second home. No Vermonter who can’t find housing right now was gonna drop the 2.5 mil to develop that kind of acreage. The driveway and utilities cost more than most of us could ever afford for a house.. He didn’t take a slice of Vermont from someone staffing a restaurant who can’t find a house to buy. Really, he just put a nice fat paycheck in a bunch of local tradespeoples pockets, and then gave two of them a place to rent.