Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Full_Whereas_2694 t1_jaabvl9 wrote

Canada. Seriously, unless you’re going to rent that house to someone until you’re ready to retire please reconsider. Housing costs are out of control in no small part because of the large number of seasonal and second homes here.

RiddleofSteel t1_jad9rza wrote

I'm coming from Long Island, I'll play my tiny fiddle about the housing prices for you.

−4

General_Skin_2125 t1_jadvwkj wrote

Let me know when you buy your homestead, a couple of my buddies and I are gonna do some Green Mountain Boys and Ethan Allen re-enactments.

RiddleofSteel t1_jae86b3 wrote

>Lived 10 years in a neighborhood where MS-13 carved up 4 kids with machetes down the block, shootings were a weekly occurrence, and had to have a baseball bat handy to deal with the crack heads strung out from the drug dealer living next door. Sorry bunch of country bumpkins with a military fetish doesn't really scare me.

−2

General_Skin_2125 t1_jaeda6e wrote

I'll take things that never happened for $500, Alex.

The only person you're lying to is yourself. There are a lot of "country bumpkins" out here, with military experience and unrelated fetishes.

RiddleofSteel t1_jaeh6qi wrote

https://www.longislandpress.com/2022/04/11/ms-13-associate-convicted-of-central-islip-quadruple-murder/

Point is your lame ass threat of violence isn't scaring someone from the hoods of NY man.

−1

Full_Whereas_2694 t1_jadg085 wrote

with that attitude you're sure to get a warm welcome from your neighbors. remember there's no such thing as "self sufficiency", you need a community. good luck.

Hearth_Roots t1_jadt2g6 wrote

Facts, community is key in survival and a huge part of the culture here.

General_Skin_2125 t1_jadw3rm wrote

Community of likeminded individuals with useful skills. Nobody wants regular Joe-shmoe's wasting their resources.

Twombls t1_jadhjpx wrote

Yeah the "self sufficiency" thing is kinda bs. More of a fantasy prepper types have. If there was a societal collapse (unlikely) people who work together as small communities will probably be the ones who thrive. Prepper types will either run out of their rations and homestead types would just get taken over by said communities lmao. Also some dude from long island is not gonna have a self sufficient farm in VT. Especially after climate collapse.

There really has never been a time in history where solitary humans were the ones that thrived.

Effinehright t1_jae0uj4 wrote

if its so great and valuable why leave?

RiddleofSteel t1_jae5a4x wrote

Long Island is going to be heavily impacted by hurricanes and climate change in the coming decades. Also I want a big piece of land to have my little farmstead on, and basically impossible on Long Island. I paid 700K for a 1 Acre property here.

Effinehright t1_jae5gu9 wrote

can I borrow your fiddle?

RiddleofSteel t1_jaeagyz wrote

I'm not whining about it like the people in this thread are. I'm moving to a place I can afford what I want.