Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RoyalIndependence500 t1_j86fa1o wrote

In over 20 states in the US GLBTQ people can still be fired, lose their housing and health care for being gay. Every single one of those states is run by Republicans. Over 300 laws are being proposed in Republican states to deny trans citizens health care and access to gender affirming g treatment. Education is under attack that addresses systemic racism and minority representation. Educate yourself.

bobsizzle t1_j89wrgd wrote

Sexual orientation is a protected class. You can't legally be fired because of it. That's federal. Which overrides state law.

And law's regarding healthcare, particularly children, are the same. The law doesn't allow any children to undergo those surgeries, in those states. Or am I wrong about that? Whether they identify as trans or not. You're still not being specific and if there are specific laws in those states that say a gay person can be fired, in law or if it's just in practice, the federal courts would side with them. It is illegal to deny someone a job or housing , as the fair housing act protects them as well.

And education should focus on necessary skills. No rights are being taken away. Education is supposed to be equal. Everyone should have the opportunity to learn the same thing. Taking away someones right to education would be not allowing Black kids in school. Or not allowing them to attend a school with white's. Or not giving them the same curriculum as white people. Deciding not to teach everyone something added, is not denying anyone their rights. That's a different argument about what you think students should be taught. That's an argument worth having. But it is not the same as denying anyone's federally protected rights.

RoyalIndependence500 t1_j8arldf wrote

You are correct about the 2020 Supreme Court decision protecting GLBTQ citizens from being fired. I had forgotten about that. I do know hundred of laws have been and are targeting trans people and the GLBTQ community regarding education. And I strongly disagree that education should not be about history, cultural groups and civil discourse. Education is not only about training workers. It’s teaching about teaching people how we as a society got to where we are and how we can address the serious social, environmental and economic issues that we face today.

cpujockey t1_j8rua1x wrote

WTF IS GLBTQ? I thought it was LGBTQ, or LGBTQIA+?

look, I am just a bisexual PoC VT republican and I am just trying to figure out what the hell is going on in here.