Submitted by JMChaseArt t3_1118ira in vermont

I’m moving from a 7a growing zone to just south of Burlington in a few weeks - and of course I’m moving with some of my favorite seeds. I’ve found a bit of conflicting information on which zone the Burlington area is. Between 5a and 4b?

Anyone have any advice on which to go with? I know at least for where I’m coming from, the past few years have been kind of a conundrum with hot winters and freak late frosts. But any advice from people growing (especially my favorites turnips, potatoes, and asparagus) in this area is greatly appreciated!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Ill-Expert-9161 t1_j8dbkqa wrote

So I live about 100 yards from the lake in the southend of Burlington. It moderates the temperature considerably. I am able to get away with growing things other parts of VT could only dream. Turnip, potatoes, asparagus can be grown pretty much anywhere. I do recommend the Gilfeather Turnip. It has been bred for VT.

JMChaseArt OP t1_j8dc0r5 wrote

Thank you! I’ll be about half a mile from the lake so this is perfect. Is there a local place you recommend getting the seeds at? Turnips and their greens are some of my absolute favorites

Ausmith1 t1_j8e524a wrote

Half a mile is probably right at the limit of the moderation effect of the lake from what I've observed.

texmarie t1_j8fjt9w wrote

Try High Mowing Seeds—they’re based in Vermont, and I’ve had good luck with their seeds. For seedlings, I like Cate Farms. Don’t let this weekend’s weather trick you though! Our last frost is usually the first week in June. Most people say Memorial Day as the first day you can reliably put things in the ground without freezing them to death.

JMChaseArt OP t1_j8fr9dp wrote

Thank you! I think I’m going to do just that. Where I am, this week is going to be crazy unseasonably warm. It’s hard to resist but you’re absolutely right

PuddleCrank t1_j8dmowc wrote

I got mine before a 200 mile bike ride, but there must be a better way...... http://100-200.org/

JMChaseArt OP t1_j8dv1m2 wrote

Wow. And I thought I liked turnips haha. I’ll poke around for them, thanks for the recommendation

Excellent_Affect4658 t1_j8dbalq wrote

Well, if you want to grow potatoes, asparagus, and turnips, you will surely not be disappointed, as they all grow just fine without issues.

For more sensitive stuff, historically zone 4 was more accurate, but the last decade has at least been on the edge of 5, with a small asterisk depending on elevation. Median last frost was around June 1, but I don’t think that it’s come after May 15 for at least ten years, and the season goes much further into the fall than it used to.

JMChaseArt OP t1_j8dc5qg wrote

Thank you so much! I guess I could always use zone 5 for the more tolerant cold plants and switch to 4 just to be save for the more delicate ones ~ great advice thanks!

Vermontbuilder t1_j8f3bdd wrote

You are correct , elevation is a big factor. Our frost free days have been increasing the last decade. I would go with 5B

HappilyhiketheHump t1_j8dlc43 wrote

I still stick with zone 4 out of caution for all foundational plantings, but have been growing annuals for zone 5 with great results the last 6-7 years.
Many of the garden centers away from the lake are beginning to carry more zone 5 plants.

JMChaseArt OP t1_j8dmme2 wrote

Thank you so much. There’s few things more heartbreaking than raising up a beautiful crop of food for yourself to only see it fail due to the weather so I’m probably going to stick with everyone’s advice on here about playing it safe. It’s been so difficult with these weather flip flops though. I appreciate it greatly!

blipblapblorp t1_j8dw095 wrote

Welcome! I am actually a new gardener so I don't have advice but I recommend connecting on newsletter.social media with Vermont Garden Network https://vtgardens.org/ lots of great resources and workshops. There's also an active FB group called Vermont Garden Groupies that is very helpful.

JMChaseArt OP t1_j8e1olz wrote

Oh thank you so much, I’ll look into this!

PorcelainFD t1_j8fllqo wrote

Zones are more important for perennials than for annuals. But since you asked, plan for zone 4 and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Intelligent-Hunt7557 t1_j8dzfo5 wrote

According to the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map Burlington is all about the 5a, like most of Champlain-adjacent Vermont. Caveat(s): this is 2012 info and may not reflect weather weirding and global warming quite well.

Direct seeding: carrots, greens, radishes, et al, “as soon as the ground can be worked”- so starting in April…

Transplants: Generally when folks I knew gardened in Burlington (‘05-‘13) if they transplanted starts (tomatoes, peppers et al) before Memorial Day, regretted it. Honestly even the first or second week of June is fine, stuff will catch up to May-planted stuff pretty quickly. Other parts of Vermont have a later Date of Last Frost but B-town is sittin’ pretty…

JMChaseArt OP t1_j8e2dlx wrote

I did see the Memorial Day general rule of thumb. We’ve been having some freak late frosts here too, despite insanely warm winters lately so it makes sense to err on the side of caution with anything not tolerant of frost 🤔

Outrageous-Outside61 t1_j8epfe6 wrote

Moving from Martha’s Vineyard by any chance?! Lived there with my wife for 6 years or so before moving back home. Really depends where you are, but I would think you’d be safe with 5a from the sounds of your comments. Have a good growing season!