Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ill-Expert-9161 t1_j8dbkqa wrote

So I live about 100 yards from the lake in the southend of Burlington. It moderates the temperature considerably. I am able to get away with growing things other parts of VT could only dream. Turnip, potatoes, asparagus can be grown pretty much anywhere. I do recommend the Gilfeather Turnip. It has been bred for VT.

JMChaseArt OP t1_j8dc0r5 wrote

Thank you! I’ll be about half a mile from the lake so this is perfect. Is there a local place you recommend getting the seeds at? Turnips and their greens are some of my absolute favorites

Ausmith1 t1_j8e524a wrote

Half a mile is probably right at the limit of the moderation effect of the lake from what I've observed.

texmarie t1_j8fjt9w wrote

Try High Mowing Seeds—they’re based in Vermont, and I’ve had good luck with their seeds. For seedlings, I like Cate Farms. Don’t let this weekend’s weather trick you though! Our last frost is usually the first week in June. Most people say Memorial Day as the first day you can reliably put things in the ground without freezing them to death.

JMChaseArt OP t1_j8fr9dp wrote

Thank you! I think I’m going to do just that. Where I am, this week is going to be crazy unseasonably warm. It’s hard to resist but you’re absolutely right

PuddleCrank t1_j8dmowc wrote

I got mine before a 200 mile bike ride, but there must be a better way...... http://100-200.org/

JMChaseArt OP t1_j8dv1m2 wrote

Wow. And I thought I liked turnips haha. I’ll poke around for them, thanks for the recommendation