Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

saucynancydisaster t1_jaocmzw wrote

You should double check that removing your propane tank or heating system doesn’t conflict with your mortgage terms (if you have one). Sometimes mortgage documents specify that you can’t remove a permanent heat source. It’s probably unlikely since you have an alternative, but you don’t want a bad surprise if you sell.

iamthebugwan OP t1_jaoqi74 wrote

Good to know, thank you. I will check that before we let the provider know to remove the tanks.

Glad-Palpitation292 t1_jar1v1b wrote

In addition to this bit of advice, have you considered leaving the tanks in place? If they are underground, I believe they can be filled with something inert, or so I have been told, and left in place. Unless you plan to keep your house forever, the next owner might want to have the option for propane for cooking, or backup electricity generation, or maybe just a redundant heat source--just in case.

iamthebugwan OP t1_jasahiy wrote

Hey there, they are outside the house and kind of an eyesore that you can see from the kitchen windows. This is basically the forever home unless we hit the lottery lol. We have a wood stove as a backup heat source in case of power outages, etc.

Glad-Palpitation292 t1_jats8lk wrote

Makes sense. It sounds like they'd be easy to remove/replace.

How was the heat pump experience? I can't find a contractor who I know isn't charging me a premium.

iamthebugwan OP t1_jau7u5l wrote

We had two installed at separate times over the last 2 years. One is a mitsubishi cold weather and the other is a Haier (also for cold weather). I prefer the mitsubishi because it's a little quieter, but other than that they both are great. Vermont Energy did the mitsu and Catamount solar did the Haier. Both companies were easy to work with, great with communication and installed the units in 3-4 hours. I'd recommend either one to work with.

Glad-Palpitation292 t1_jauds16 wrote

Speaking of that 3-4 hour install, I had a local contractor quote me 10,000 to install two, in addition to the equipment costs. Even if three people put in an 8 hour day doing two units, by my math that's $416/hour for the install. And the electric work to run the 220 line wasn't included in that number. No thanks.

iamthebugwan OP t1_jay6rbi wrote

Oh wow, our experience was nothing like that. We got a flat price that included the unit, labor, and the cost of the electrician.

flambeaway t1_jazk549 wrote

In addition, it may conflict with your homeowners insurance if it doesn't heat all areas of the home.

Wood stoves are usually not considered a backup heat source by insurance companies (since they don't work if you're not home).