Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

rivunel t1_jddc762 wrote

Don't pay it. They can't collect money from a dead man if he had no liquid assets at death its pretty hard for them to go after that money.

EDIT: to add to this unless your a spouse debts don't really transfer. It is the job of the estate to pay for it. Of he didn't have much in his estate the hospital gets jack shit.

cpujockey OP t1_jddd61o wrote

> Don't pay it.

I am waiting to see here what happens with medicaid, they were supposed to pay the bill 2 years ago.

I am the executor. I might be liable cause I fucked up some shit with the estate. The deceased owes me A LOT of money for damages to the dwelling, cig smoke, broken flooring, improper shower install, and also dying on the floor. So I need to recoup those costs in their entirety.

as it stands, I have paid for his cremation, funeral, and other stuff, I have been reimbursed. But the house stuff I cant shake on. Medicaid failed to pay this bill when he was alive and it might be passed the window for it to be paid off via medicaid. So this is a fun situation.

rivunel t1_jddk87q wrote

But they can only make you pay money from his estate. If you can show money from his estate went to other bills.

If you had past bills they owed you money for GET THE BILLS IN WRITING. If you have an old lease agreement anything like that make sure you have a record of the debt.

https://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/section/14/066/01205

There is an order that debts have to be paid off in.

Any costs you incurred while carrying out the terms of the estate are the FIRST thing you pay off. I think You can make a case that the cost of your paid off debts is a cost of executing the will.

The second is the funeral and burial and along with any medical costs of the LAST illness of the decedent. If that was 2 years prior was that his LAST illness? If not you're honestly probably fine.

3rd is paying their employees.( seems asinine this is after medical expenses tbh)

4th is any other claims I ASSUME the hospital crap falls under there.

cpujockey OP t1_jddksag wrote

Thank you this info is helpful!

Dukaso t1_jdkb8hs wrote

Hey buddy, I just want to reiterate, don't give those leeches a god damn cent of your own money. Also NEVER acknowledge the debt as YOUR debt. This is the estate's debt, and you need to always refer to it as such. Money is weird and if you ever acknowledge the debt is yours UVMMC is going to try to suck you dry.

Even if you were promised the estate, don't ever refer to the debt as yours by proxy. You're going to inherit the remainder of the estate (if there is any) after everyone gets their pound of flesh. Even if you're representing the estate, the debt always belongs to "the estate", not "you".

Don't give them a chance to screw you. It's so fucked up that we have to worry about semantics when dealing with the death of people close to us.

rivunel t1_jddkxhe wrote

No problem I had to do it a couple of times at the homeless shelter. But the last time was 4 or so years ago I knew I was forgetting something.

13badluck13 t1_jddl3li wrote

>Medicaid failed to pay this bill when he was alive and it might be passed the window for it to be paid off via medicaid.

If you have their Medicaid info and they had active coverage at the time of the billing Medicaid will pay. The hospital just needs to resubmit the bill. Call Vermont Health Connect and I can guarantee they'll tell you the same... assuming this was VT Medicaid that they had.

cpujockey OP t1_jddeusv wrote

> They can't collect money from a dead man if he had no liquid assets at death

he had money when he died.