Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Nutmegdog1959 t1_jddqlcy wrote

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The Court isn't out to screw anybody over their ignorance or error. It's mostly the kids who get ahold of the parents' estate and start spending money or grabbing the jewelry they thought they were entitled to.

Surrogates Court (in NY) and Probate Court here are not particularly contentious courtrooms. Everybody understands there is a job to do, and that the estate needs to be divided up fairly.

If you submit a bill to the estate for the damages and the costs you have incurred, I'm sure the judge will recognize that and compensate you appropriately.

There are also statutory commissions ($) for the executor but I'm not sure how much that is here in VT.

It's not the most pleasant experience but it is something many of us have to go through.

700-00302.pdf (vermontjudiciary.org)

Good Luck.

deadowl t1_jddwu4u wrote

Looks like the hospital would only have four months following the publication of the Notice to Creditors to claim a debt. Then looks like you gotta send a Disallowance of Claim within 60 days of receiving the claim. which they have 60 days to respond to. And you want to send that certified mail so you have the full tracking information.