Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

thisoneisnotasbad t1_jdzmpfn wrote

On a standard they will fail you. On an automatic they just advise you it is not working.

happyonthehill802 t1_jdzp4cs wrote

They should technically fail you, regardless of transmission type. Its actually more critical on an automatic. That little pin/pawl in your transmission is not designed to hold your car on a grade.

−7

thisoneisnotasbad t1_jdztrma wrote

That is false. Read the guide. Fail with a standard, tell the owner with an automatic.

https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VN-113-Periodic_Inspection_Manual.pdf

happyonthehill802 t1_jdzuxqz wrote

No kiddin. Thanks for the update. I was certified 7 years ago, and as far as i remember it had to work regardless of transmission.

However, my statement stands. Fix your e brake regardless, that parking pawl can fail.

thisoneisnotasbad t1_je018l4 wrote

It has changed a bit in the past few years. It got super strict like fail if the backup camera does not or the tire pressure sensors don't work..Scott has it relaxed to be a bit more reasonable.

happyonthehill802 t1_je055rg wrote

Thats good news. Im all for safety inspections, we dont need frames breaking and ball joints popping on the road...but when they first rolled out the computerized inspection system it was pretty ridiculous.

Jerry_Williams69 t1_jdyz4nd wrote

Absolutely. That is a safety issue. Hand brake repairs/replacements are usually pretty cheap.

bscrampz t1_jdyt8ct wrote

Yes, as it should be. I like other people to have functioning brakes at least as much as like having them on my own car.

Odd-Philosopher5926 t1_jeayy9p wrote

It’s required and cheap to fix. Unless you live in America. Then it’s required and expensive like eggs and everything else