Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

GraniteGeekNH t1_jci1z0i wrote

Hunt around - there are lots of discussions about the pros and cons of burying power lines which I think is what you're getting at.

vermont4runner t1_jci4021 wrote

Underground cables in New England is folly. We have to go deeper than 4ft to get around frost heaving. Not to mention New England soil is incredibly rocky and shifting.

Better line management and tree trimming is absolutely required. But your proposal for underground utilities is half baked.

Twombls t1_jci49nr wrote

The town of shelburne and stowe did bury cables within a lot of their town center. It was expensive af.

vermont4runner t1_jci5nwk wrote

Right, because they had to go extra deep and the conduit has to be reinforced. It’s not feasible for the vast majority of places.

Shelburne and Stowe are two of the most expensive towns in Vermont. They are trying to project that image of wealth and perfection, they’ll pay to bury the lines out of pure vanity.

NoMidnight5366 t1_jciej1w wrote

Not to mention all the conduits filling up with water.

DaddyBobMN t1_jclm86u wrote

Where I grew up 90% of local power lines are buried and "conduits filling with water" simply isn't a thing anyone worries about.

Optimized_Orangutan t1_jci3iwe wrote

Ya... And it's a terrible idea.

Twombls t1_jci41bw wrote

I mean its a good idea. Our tiny rural state just cant afford it. Also if we did bury them I doubt the people that are effected the most would get their lines buried as they are usually like the last house in bumfuck nowhere up a single line.

Optimized_Orangutan t1_jci5bq1 wrote

That's why it's a bad idea. We will spend huge amounts of money burying all the lines that don't need it and the same people will still lose power.

Edit: burying the lines doesn't eliminate or even reduce maintenance cost either... So you spend a bunch of money digging the lines and then you don't even get a payback from upkeep cost reductions.