Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

xxxDog_Fucker_69xxx t1_jdrv03g wrote

It’s pretty simple, get a 2L bottle of soda. Create a funnel with the bottle and cut an opening for the chickens head on top (this is a real version)Tie the feat, invert the chicken and put head through cone. At this point the chicken should be pretty calm. Use a knife dispatch the bird by removing the head. Let the bird bleed for several minutes, then get a big pot and get water right before boiling temp. Drop the whole bird in it for about 45 seconds. At which point you’ll remove it and start plucking the feathers. I usually grab a stool and get a plastic contractor bag and defeatjer over it. (It’s a smelly and gross process) after the bird is featherless you’ll go to the backend of the bird and cut AROUND the tail and create a cavity almost to the base of the rib cage. Remove all guts including the neck and you’ll essentially have a store bought raw chicken. Process takes about 45 minutes if you do it all at once.

As for butchers/slaughter houses I don’t think there’s any in the area that would be willing to provide their services for only one bird. Dm me if you have any questions and as always open a guide online and when cleaning the bird there’s much better step by step guides on the Internet.

PromiseNorth t1_jdsbhxn wrote

Good write up! A few additional things could bring OP from 45 min to 10 or under. Instead of contractor bag use a plastic bin. The black ones they sell seasonally at Costco are perfect size. Toss the bird in there and skip the boil & just hand pluck. Have a garden hose at the ready too. Leather glove for plucking!!

jmyii t1_jdx1pgl wrote

An old edition of The Joy of Cooking tought us everything we needed to know about processing (much like the instructions above), but with illustrations. They're tough enough that we find grinding the meat up for sausage patties or meatballs is their yummiest use.

xxxDog_Fucker_69xxx t1_jdx1y6h wrote

Oh without a doubt, my wife and I love making chicken meatballs. Usually we’ll kill a whole bird for thanksgiving when family comes, but free range backyard birds are tough and gamey! Probably should have told OP haha